Thread: Totals

seeme2sue

Totals

Can anyone tell me how I can total a column in Access97?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Totals

What exactly are you trying to do? Access isn't a spreadsheet, so there isn't any way to "total a column". On a report, you can use the Sum() function to total the contents of a field. On a form you can do something similar with a calculated field. If you explain what you need, someone can give you a specific answer.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Open a new query in design view. Add the field that you want to total. On the view menu click on "totals". That adds a Totals line to the query. Click on the down arrow on the totals line of the field you are totaling and select sum. Run the query.

verins

Don't overlook the value of the query wizard.
    Open your database, go to the database window, single click the "query" tab in the Objects pane.
    At the top of the database window single click the "New" button. That should bring up the "New Query" window. Using the simple query wizard will step you through the process to create the "total" query you seem to be looking for.
    The wizards might seem geeky to the power users, but we beginner and intermediate folks swear by them.
    Good Luck!!
    Lee Verret
    Intermediate Access User & Avid Access Student

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You make a very good point, whether Newbie or Access connoisseur. The Query, Form, and Report Wizards can do a huge chunk of your work. Then you are free to tweak and add some heavy duty stuff. The query wizard is also good for learning how to write Access SQL statements.

The only Wizard I can't stand in Access is the Table Wizard. I end up changing so much of what it does, I could have built the table from scratch.

FWIW

verins

010103 2009hrs

DITTO! I hate that table wizard, too.
    But, when I was a complete newbie I clung to that table wizard like a drowning man to a life jacket.

Thanks,

Lee