New Lounger
    Thanks

Inserting a new row (Excel 97)

Hi there

I have a user who is simply trying to insert a row into an Excel 97 workbook and receives the following message:
    "To prevent possible loss of data Excel cannot shift non-blank cells off the worksheet. Try to delete or clear the cells to the right or below your data then select cell A1 and save your workbook to rest the last cell used."

What does this mean and how can they overcome this problem so that they can insert the row.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Inserting a new row (Excel 97)

When Excel inserts a new row, it must move existing rows down in order to accommodate the new row. As there is a limit to the number of rows available, inserting a new row can result in excel having to push a row off the end of the sheet. Excel does not do that if there is a possibility of data loss and so produces the error your user is getting.

If there are unused rows in the sheet in question, select the first such row and all the rows underneath and go to Edit, Clear and select All. Save and close the workbook, and then when you reopen you should be able to proceed without getting an error message. This should have the added benefit of reducing the file size.

If you have no unused rows left you either need to start a new worksheet or delete some existing data that may be obsolete.

Hope that assists

Andrew C

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Check to see if there's an object which would also be shifted "off the sheet" - Goto/Special/Objects.
    Could also be a formatted cell -- see where the last cell takes you (ctrl/End)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks guys I got the answer. There was data in the last row of the sheet at row 65???. Once I deleted this I was able to insert a new row.

Cheers

Star Lounger
    Hemel and/or Luton, UK, Hertfordshire, England
    Thanks

This is a bit late, seeing as the problem is solved but...

This error seems to come up most often in my experience because the user has at some point hit the END button on the keyboard (they probably meant to push DELETE or PAGE DOWN). They then pushed CURSOR DOWN or CURSOR RIGHT and this chucked them to the outlying regions at the bottom (or far right) of their sheet. THis was probably all done in a fraction of a second and without them noticing what they have done. If they continue to not watch properly, they can easily put a number, letters or (hardest to find) a space in a cell in the last row or column.

They eventually realise that they are not where they should be and use the cursors or scroll bars to take them back to base up near A1.

This simple mistake now immediately makes it impossible to insert any Rows or Columns.

Remember folks - Train your users to UNDO misakes, not ignore them and scroll away!