Star Lounger
    Thanks

Nested Iif s (2003)

Sorry to bother you with a syntax problem, but I can't get a nested Iif to behave - Trying to create a field which returns "GAP Detected" if there is the word "GAP" in a number of fields - there is probably a more elegant way to do this, if so feel free to correct me, but I was trying this:

Check:Iif(([GAPAssetType] = "GAP", IIF( [GAPCostCode] = "GAP", IIf[GAPAcquision] = "GAP", Iif [GAPValuePer] = "GAP", Iif[GAPCost]= "GAP", Iif [GAPDepMethod]="GAP","GAP DETECTED","")

No matter how I try and do this, it keeps returning "Parenthesis" requirements..... can anyone show me the correct way to frame it?

Many thanks!

Ina

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Nested Iif s (2003)

Do you want to return "GAP detected" if *all* of the fields contain the word "GAP", or if at least one of the fields contains the word "GAP"?
    And is the requirement that a field value equals "GAP", or that "GAP" is part of the field value (for example "I love GAP jeans")

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I want to return "GAP DETECTED" if any of the fields have the word "GAP" (there will only be the word "GAP" or null in any of the fields).

Cheers Hans

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try this:

Check: IIf(([GAPAssetType] = "GAP" Or [GAPCostCode] = "GAP" Or [GAPAcquision] = "GAP" Or [GAPValuePer] = "GAP" Or [GAPCost]= "GAP" Or [GAPDepMethod]="GAP","GAP DETECTED","")

(The technical problem with your expression was that you omitted the opening parenthesis ( between IIf and the opening square bracket [ )

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans, no it still doesn't like it - tells me there is a syntax problem. Have got a fix by making a string of all the fields and searching for "GAP" within the created string. All the blooming brackets still defeat me! Thanks for your help tho'

Ina

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Oops - I left a wrong opening parenthesis in there. It should be
    <code>
    Check: IIf([GAPAssetType]="GAP" Or [GAPCostCode]="GAP" Or [GAPAcquision]="GAP" Or [GAPValuePer]="GAP" Or [GAPCost]="GAP" Or [GAPDepMethod]="GAP","GAP DETECTED","")</code>

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yup, that works it! Thanks