5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Workgroup/Shared templates (2003)

In Word, I can set a workgroup template location (for files on our network) under Tools, Options. Then, when a user clicks File, New, Templates on my computer, he/she can see the shared files. It shows templates (dot) as well as documents (doc).

I can't seem to do that in Excel. I remember previous versions gave an alternate startup location in Tools, Options, but 2003 doesn't have that. So, how can we share templates? I looked on the MS site and the instructions were: "You can make a custom template available to others by storing the template on a network location. For example, you might want all users in your workgroup to use a custom template for a special project. Place the template in a folder in a network location that is accessible to all users in your group. ".

How helpful. That doesn't tell me much. Or am I just being dense?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Workgroup/Shared templates (2003)

The Workgroup Templates folder is shared by all Office applications, so you can place Excel templates (.xlt) in the same network folder where you place Word templates (.dot).

(BTW, the alternate startup location is now labeled "At startup, open all files in". But this is not the location for templates)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

But when I click File, New, Templates on my computer in Word, the shared templates show up in the templates window. When I do that in Excel, I only have the templates on my c: drive showing - not the network shared folder.

And, yes, that startup location got me. I tried pointing to the shared folder with that. Man that was dumb! I didn't actually read what it said, but after I did it and opened every one of the shared files, I read it and it does, indeed, say it will open all the files when Excel starts. So, I'm not using that one!

Anyway, it would make sense that all Office apps would share the worgroup templates folder, but it's not happening on my machine. Is there some setting I'm missing?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It should work! I've been using this for years in several versions of Office. And to make sure, I've just tested it successfully.

Check carefully in Word which folder you have set as Workgroup Templates folder.
    Then check carefully that you have placed your shared Excel template(s) in this folder.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hmm well.... I have 4 new tabs in the templates window that contain files I don't recognize. I searched for one of these files and it is, indeed, a file in our worgroup templates location. Goodie. However, we have about 30 folders and over 300 documents in our workgroups templates directory. In Word, there is a "more" tab to allow me to scroll through the folders in the directory via the templates window. In Excel, I am seeing only 4 of the folders (better than my original thought that I wasn't seeing any). They are not the first 4 folders, but seem to be randomly selected. Is there a limit in Excel to the number of templates that will display?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Workgroup/Shared templates (2003) - DUH

Ok I'm an idiot. I finally figured out what was happening. Although we have a gazillion files and folders in this location, only the ones that actually contain Excel files are showing up. I had not realized we had so few Excel files as templates. Hans, thank you for your time. I'm sorry I wasted it. It seems to be working just the way it should. I, however, need caffeine or something to help me escape this mental fog I am in. Thank you!!!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You'll only see tabs in the Templates dialog for subfolders of the user templates and workgroup templates folders that contain Excel templates. Subfolders that do not contain Excel templates will not have a corresponding tab.
    I have never used a large number of subfolders, but I assume if you have 30 subfolders with Excel templates, you'd get the 'More' tab too.