Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Limit to number of files open (word97sr2)

There apears to be a limit to the number of files that can be opened with a single File Open command.

I am in the habit of choosing File, Open, and then selecting (Click, Shift-Click or Click, Ctrl-Click) several files, all of which have to suffer the same process.

A recent batch of files had (for me) unusually long names (Funnily enough, one is titled "Project managers must learn how to talk using non-technical terms.doc") and although I selected a group of 25 files, only 4 were opened. I managed to process the files in groups of 4.

Late I used Pcopy (DOS) to copy all files to a temporary directory. With truncated (8.3) names I could open the batch with one fell swoop.

I'm hazarding a guess that Harold uses a 256-character buffer for multiple file openings, and that that limit has been reached with four file names of 50 to 60 characters each.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Limit to number of files open (word97sr2)

Chris,

I've had this fequently before.

The first time I had the problem was just after MS introduced their protection against the "Concept virus". I've never been able to open unlimited multiple files from Word ever since. When it happened, I could read the MS macro which performed the checking, and could see where it was being limited- but I had too little experience of Word macros to code a workaround- and too little time as well- a problem I still have.

I suggested to a poster a while back that it might be caused by the virus checker- I can't find the post. The poster had macro checking turned off, and still had the problem.

If I have to open a lot of files now, I do so via the Explorer (when I can), or via a VBA procedure.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Limit to number of files open (word97sr2)

Geoff, thanks for the reply. I have variously turned off/on the Tools, options, General Virus protection box; makes no difference.

It's not been a number-of-files restriction, I think, because until this morning I'd never felt I'd not been able to open all documents in a directory with a single file-open.

This morning was really the first time I thought about using the long-filenames aspect of Win95 upgrade kit (!).

What will worry me now and into the future is selecting all documents in a folder, choosing Open, and thinking that all 37 of them have been opened (and hence will be processed) whereas only 35 of them actually got opened. There's no message from Word saying "I didn't get them all". (Thinks: I wonder if that's why I never got a response from my job application at MicroSoft? .....).

Opening in Explorer won't work for me; I seem at times to get 37 copies of Word, most of which bitch about a corrupted Normal.dot en passant. If you want to spell passant that way. I think they do in France.

Like you I uas a VBA proc if I'm being serious about work .....