Star Lounger
    Thanks

Store Data (2000)

There is a dropdown box to select Year 1, Year 2, etc. What I would like to do is store the data in the chart (which is entered by a user) with the corresponding year.

So, if a user has Year 1 selected from the dropdown box and has already entered data in the chart it would be stored somehow. So, when they change to Year 2 the chart would be blank since the user has not yet entered data for year 2. The user can then enter fresh data for year 2 which would also be stored somehow. If the user selects Year 1 again from the dropdown, I want it to retrieve whatever information had been entered for Year 1 previously.

I hope what I am trying to accomplish is somewhat clear. I have no idea how to start this, if this is even possible, or if this is the best way to do something like this. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

Re: Store Data (2000)

Where is the chart supposed to get the data from the other years (or where is the user going to enter the data)?

How will we know what is which year. The data has no "year" info listed.

Steve

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Let's say Year 1 (from the dropdown) is 2006. At the end of 2006 the user will enter all sales data (sales, profit, incentive) for each employee. What I am wanting to do is create some sort of database for Year 1 (2006) for all of the sales data entered for each employee. It needs to be stored somehow with reference that this data is for year 1 (2006). Then, next year, when the user selects Year 2 (2007) the database will have a blank value listed for each employees sales data since nothing has been entered into the database. As data is entered it will also be stored in the database with some reference that this data is for year 2, and so on. That way when a user selects Year 1 again in the future, it will not populate blank cells, rather it will look to the database and pull all values referenced by year 1.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi there

<hr>create some sort of database <hr>

...and there, you have hit the nail squarely on the head in my opinion. A database would be a perfect place to store this type of information.

Alternatively , why not have a template excel workbook and when a new year occurs create a new workbook from the template and link the data....just ideas popping out of my head as I type.
    Jerry

Thanks

Why not create a data table with columns of Name, Year, and Sales

from this you could create a pivot table and pivot chart which can include 2 calculated fields (Profit, incentive)

You could use the year as a "page field" to select it from all the data

Steve