3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access 2K: slow text import in Win 2K (Access 2000 SR-1)

Anyone found text file imports to be slower in Access 2000 under Win 2000 than either Access 2000 under Win 98 or Access 97 under Win 2000?

I have a procedure that imports a set of delimited text files using saved import specs. Some of these files are ridiculously small (say 15 rows by 10 columns/fields). Imports that used to take 2 seconds now take around 12 seconds each.

Interestingly, large files aren't seriously slower than before, so there seems to be some additional overhead at the start of the import process...

Jeremy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access 2K: slow text import in Win 2K (Access 2000 SR-1)

Is there a time difference if you link the files instead of importing them? I don't run Win2000, and from what I've seen of it on client machines, I'm not anxious to do so.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I haven't tried linking - usually with text files I set up code to import once and then play with the data in table format.

In the grand scheme of things this "issue" doesn't really set me back - I was just wondering if it was a known/understood feature.

Jeremy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I use linked files a lot because they don't bloat the database the way the imports and deletes do. And since Access 2000 bloats worse than all the other versions combined, anything that keeps it to a minimum is OK in my book.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

that's fine, but this particular database is for calculations / modelling, so some of the fields in the original files need to be updated in place etc.

For performance reasons if nothing else, I prefer to have the data in a table structure, and then I tidy up afterwards.

Jeremy