3 Star Lounger
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Connecting to 2 seperate networks

Hi All,
    Here at work we have an established network (network1) for internal file sharing and internet and email access via a wired network. We also have a few computers for CNC machines in the workshop cabled together as a small network (network2) using a wireless router.

Can I put a wireless NIC card into my computer (part of network1) and be able to connect to network2 simultaneously without causing problems? Part of the idea is to be able to copy files from the workshop computers onto the computer where the backups are done each night via my computer.

I do have another wireless router that is being used only as an access point for network1 and I looked into "wireless bridging" between them but they are both fairly basic models and I don't think it is possible between them.

network1 wireless router = netgear WGR614v2 (dhcp off)
    network 2 wireless router = Belkin F5D7230-4 (dhcp on)

Thanks in advance.
    "Heading for the deep end"

Plutonium Lounger

Re: Connecting to 2 seperate networks

It is possible to do this, but it requires very careful management of IP Subnet addresses, Routes, DNS, and Default Gateways.

You need to configure each network to use a completely independent range of network addresses, how you do this depends on the particular devices you are using, but you may (for example) be able to configure one of them to use addresses starting 10.0. and the other using addresses starting 192.168.

The PC that is linked to both networks should correctly pick up a different address on each NIC. The other PCs should carry on working as normal.

Now you need to make sure that the PC with two NICs knows how to direct Internet bound traffic, you usually do this by hard coding a default route on that PC.

Finally you need to be sure that each PC can access a DNS server that knows all the things it needs to connect to. This could be a problem if you need to connect to devices on both halves of your private network. If necessary you can add name:address pairs to the file C:WindowsSystem32Driversetchosts on the PC with two NICs

Please come back and ask some more questions if this isn't enough to get you started.