2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

computer runs very slow (XP Professional Ver 2002 SP1)

Hi,

I have a Pentium 4 CPU 3.00 GHZ with 2 GB RAM. When I have several large Excel files open my computer frequently has problems running the Excel. I had 4 excel files open and forgot to save the first 3 before I tried to run a pivot table on the 4th file. The pivot table never came up, the Excel just hung. I opened Task manager and the CPU was running at 100% for over 15 minutes before I finally had to end Excel and lose the work I had done on the other spreadsheets. First question, is there anyway just to close the spreadsheet that is causing the problem, rather than exiting the process (Excel)?

At the time the reading were

CPU Usage 100%
    Totals - handles 6466, Threads 366 Processes 35
    Commit change (K) - Total 403,176 Limit 4,022,696 Peak 437,716

Physical Memory Total 2,088,300 Available 1,446,608 System cache 354,948
    Kernel memory (K) Total 43,888 Paged 31,840 Non paged 12,048

I don't understand a great deal about this part of Windows, but was wondering if there is a problem in some of my settings, that I should try and get someone to change for me, to make the system run better.

I usually work with large Excel files and occasionally a large Access database. The hanging problem frequently occurs when I am trying to manipulate large amounts of data. I don't like to have autosave on, just in case I do some damage to a file, then i can close and keep the file as it was before the mistake.

If I am in the wrong forum, please let me know so I can move to the correct one.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated as it is very frustrating to have to redo work, because I had to end a process.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: computer runs very slow (XP Professional Ver 2

Try to define the scope of the problem. Is it just Excel that has the issue, is it the entire Office suite, or is it many and varied programs from different vendors?
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: computer runs very slow (XP Professional Ver 2

It's mainly Excel, although the odd time Access (file size over 700 MB). I use Excel for about 90% of my work. The problem doesn't occur in other programs, but I only do minor things in those other programs, not the number crunching with large files like in Excel. I'm sure the problem is related to the volume of data that I am using eg data set with 40,000 rows and 80 columns, or 13,000 rows and 110 columns.