Thanks

Header Row (2003)

I have a lot of worksheets that I use as databases. I'm very familiar with this usage, using it productively in many different contexts.

But sometimes I will get a worksheet that just doesn't remember that it has a header row. Usually (always?) these will sort OK if I use the sort box and specify that there's a header row, but when I try to use the A>Z or Z>A buttons on the toolbar, the header row gets sorted along with everything else. When I go back into the sort dialog box, I can do the sort fine, as long as I specify that there's a header row.

When I again try to sort from the toolbar, Excel may or may not remember about the header row.

Is there a way to MAKE Excel remember that a given worksheet has a header row?
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Header Row (2003)

This occurs if all your columns contain text data.

Workaround 1: format the header row differently from the data rows, for example make the header row bold, or add a bottom border to the header row.

Workaround 2: include at least one column with numeric data, dates or TRUE/FALSE values.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

You can also name the range 'database' and Excel will then asssume it has a header row.

Aloha, JohnJ

Thanks

I do not like ever to doubt the Master, but...

Current worksheet has about 10 columns of text, but has dates in one column, and they are formatted as dates. Another column contains only numerals, though it is formatted as General.

I bolded the header row and made it red with a yellow fill.

Still the header row got sorted with all the others. Mysterious.

When I renamed the range to "database," it started to behave properly. But I'm still wondering why it misbehaved until then.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm glad JohnJacobson's suggestion worked for you. I have never seen the behavior you describe.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've seen the described behavior when there is a column (or columns) without a "title".

Moves the headers:
    <table border 1> <td> Header1 </td><td> </td><td> Header3 </td> <td> data </td><td> data </td><td> more data </td> <td> data </td><td> data </td><td> more data </td> <td> data </td><td> data </td><td> more data </td> </table>Doesn't move the headers:

<table border 1> <td> Header1 </td><td> Header2 </td><td> Header3 </td> <td> data </td><td> data </td><td> more data </td> <td> data </td><td> data </td><td> more data </td> <td> data </td><td> data </td><td> more data </td> </table>

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That is true. I had assumed the header row was complete.