5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Merging Partitions (XP SP2)

Hi,
    I have a SATA hard drive that I've discovered has some additional unallocated space. Currently the HD is partitioned into 2 , one partition contains the OS (Labeled OS Drive), the other partition contains programs(Labeled Main Drive).

If I create a third partition with the unallocated space, can I somehow merge this partition into the Main Drive without effecting the intergrity of either of the partitions mentioned as essentially they are a single hard drive (physically).

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Merging Partitions (XP SP2)

Unfortunately, you can not do it using Windows (except deleting and creating partitions). To resize, move or copy partitions, you have to use third-party programs, for instance, Patition Magic.

Maybe somebody else will suggest another, possibly free, program to do it.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

How much space are we talking about here? Even if a single partition takes up the entire drive, there is always some unallocated space left over due to the differences in the way space is calculated.
    -Mark

Thanks

Not a freebie but Acronis Disk Director will probably do it for you also.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

26 GB! So not the unallocated space you would normally expect with a formatted hard drive.
    I might look into getting Partition magic, as opposed to reformatting the hard drive (although this would be the cheaper option).

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, 26GB is a different story! I have no idea of your level of technical acumen, but I will say that Partition Magic (or the Acronis equivalent) is a worthwhile tool to have. You may not need it often, but when you do, it can be a lifesaver.
    -Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was quite surprised to find the 26gb. Went through the usual process of doing a fresh install on a hard drive, selected the size of my partitions which left the normal 8mb (or whatever the difference was) of unallocated space.
    Couple of weeks later I find the 26gb of unallocated space after entering the computer management side of XP to rename my drive letters.
    Just slightly annoying as I don't want yet another partition as I already have 4. (Photo's etc on seperate drive, OS Drive & Main Drive (same HD), and back up drive).
    Generally if I'm buying Acronis or Partition Magic, which is better? The only reason I ask is that I'm not a great fan of the Norton products I've used as they seem to be a bit bloated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>...not a great fan of the Norton products... <hr>
    Then I think you should follow your instincts and take a look at the Acronis product. I used both Drive Image and Partition Magic successfully for years, but when they were bought by Symantec, I jumped ship to Acronis and have not been sorry I did.

Edited: I just realized that there's no link to Acronis in this thread, so: Hard disk drive partitioning manager