3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DVD Zone changer

My DVD drive informs me that I can't play any more movies other than zone 2. As I have movies from other zones I don't like this. Is there any way to reset the zone change counter on my DVD drive?

Regards,
    Kevin Bell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DVD Zone changer

Check out the links at the bottom of DVD region code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

You can use programs as

SlySoft AnyDVD
    DVD Region + CSS Free

and many similar programs.

BUT if you use DVDs from two regions only (say, Europe and North America) consider to buy second DVD-ROM - it can be less expensive than programs mentioned above.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Note: zone restriction is a disputed issue. Some of the software that lets you play DVDs regardless of the zone can be used for other purposes too. The Lounge doesn't condone or encourage the use of illegal means to circumvent copy protection.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Point taken Hans. Let me state that I am in no way advocating the circumvention of copy protection. Both the products mentioned in the previous post allow for the circumvention of the hardware zone change counter limit. Is that the circumvention of copy protection? I'm not sure and to be honest its not a debate I want to get into.

However, considering that my 3 home DVD players will play any zone, and that software already exists that removes both the zone and the copy protection from DVD disks it would seem that zone restriction and copy protection are fast becoming a thing of the past. Does this remind any of the old ######s like me out there who remember the myriad of schemes devised to copy protect floppy disks? Remember floppy disks with holes burned in them with lasers?

Unfortunately the suggestion of adding a second DVD drive is not feasible because the computer I am refering to is my laptop. I like to watch DVD movies on it on the plane or in my hotel when I am traveling. Yes, I could buy a USB DVD drive but that would just add to the raft of equipment in my bag. I guess that unless I shell out more cash for circumvention software, I will just have to live with the restriction and only travel with zone 2 DVDs.

Thanks to all who helped.

Regards,
    Kevin Bell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

We Use remote selector from http://www.remoteselector.com/
    John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)