Thread: TOC (Word 2003)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

TOC (Word 2003)

Hello,

In my table of contents based on headings, I am trying to insert 3 points of spacing before and after each Heading 1 entry. So I go into the Table of Contents dialogue box and make the requisite changes under the format paragraph box under the modify menu, and it wokrs out and it looks great, no problem. Then I save changes, close the document, and open it back up, and there it is again, the old Table of Contents without the new formatting. I was sure that I pressed "save changes," in fact, I am positve.

Any clue as to what is going on??

JMT

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: TOC (Word 2003)

The following, from Word Help works for me.

<hr> Change the appearance of a table of contents, index, table of authorities, or table of figures

Some of the content in this topic may not be applicable to some languages.

On the Insert menu, point to Reference, click Index and Tables, and then click the tab you want.
    In the Formats box, click From template, and then click Modify.
    In the Styles box, click the style you want to change, and then click Modify.
    To add the new style definition to your template (template: A file or files that contain the structure and tools for shaping such elements as the style and page layout of finished files. For example, Word templates can shape a single document, and FrontPage templates can shape an entire Web site.), select the Add to template check box.
    Under Formatting, select the options you want.

Notes

To change the appearance of a table of contents in a Web frame (frames: The named subwindow of a frames page. The frame appears in a Web browser as one of a number of window regions in which pages can be displayed. The frame can be scrollable and resizable, and it can have a border.), you must first position the insertion point inside the frame that contains the table of contents. To change the appearance of a table of contents in a Web frame that uses hyperlinks (hyperlink: Colored and underlined text or a graphic that you click to go to a file, a location in a file, a Web page on the World Wide Web, or a Web page on an intranet. Hyperlinks can also go to newsgroups and to Gopher, Telnet, and FTP sites.), change the properties of the hyperlink style.

To edit the text of an individual entry, locate the source of the entry, modify it, and then update the entire table of contents, index (index: A list of the words and phrases that are discussed in a printed document, along with the page numbers they appear on.), table of authorities (table of authorities: A list of the references in a legal document, such as references to cases, statutes, and rules, along with the numbers of the pages the references appear on.), or table of figures (table of figures: A list of the captions for pictures, charts, graphs, slides, or other illustrations in a document, along with the numbers of the pages the captions appear on.).

<hr>
    Regards
    Don

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: TOC (Word 2003)

Check your setting under Tools > Templates and Addins > Automatically Update Styles
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia