Star Lounger
    Thanks

Critical System Error PopUps

I'm getting tons of pop up windows telling me that I have registry errors. One such message says: STOP! WINDOWS REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION! Windows has 55 Critical System Errors. To fix the errors, please do the following: 1- Download Registry Update from: www.regfixit.com; 2-Install Registry Update; 3-Run Registry Update; 4-Reboot Your Computer. Failure to act Now May lead to system failure.

I just reformatted my hard drive and reloaded Windows 2000. I installed AVG, did all the necessary updates for it and for Windows 2000, but these nasty little pop ups crept in there and I can't seem to get rid of them. I'm not sure if I should be worried about the critical errors (if so, what works to fix those?) And what do I need to get rid of the pop ups? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Critical System Error PopUps

Certainly Microsoft is not going to operate a website called www.regfixit.com! A quick Google will show you that it is some form of spyware which wants you to spend money (everyone with that message has "55 registry errors", surprise!). But beware of "fixes" which suggest that you do nothing but stop the Messenger service - this simply prevents the messages being displayed, but does nothing about the actual spyware problem.

For general spyware removal have a look at PC Hell and try downloading, installing and updating the free version of Ad-Aware, and Spybot - Search and Destroy, for a start. See whether these remove the messages and the problem. If not, please ask again!

I presume you have antivirus on your PC? You might want to consider also SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard as 'preventatives' (also mentioned in the PC Hell webpage).

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

The latest versions of AdAware and Spybot leave a lot to be desired. AdAware in particular has become a useless product. I've been using Webroot Spy Sweeper lately, and it's pretty impressive (although not free).
    -Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

John,

I'm not sure I agree with your comment on the Messenger service. The Messenger service can be used to display arbitrary messages sent by anyone on the Internet.

StuartR

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>The Messenger service can be used to display arbitrary messages sent by anyone on the Internet<hr>
    And it can also be used for sensible messages! Why cut off your nose to spite your face? I was suggesting dealing with the problem, not the delivery mechanism...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

John,

Even Microsoft suggest that turning off this service is the appropriate response to prevent it being used to deliver SPAM.

StuartR