New Lounger
    Thanks

Office 2003 - Compress Pictures

After using the compress picture option, I am presented with a dialog box that asks whether I want to apply picture optiminzation. What does that option do? Does it put back what was just taken out during compression?

I couldn't find any answer in Office Help, so, if anyone can enlighten me, it will be appreciated.

Regards,

TIm

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Office 2003 - Compress Pictures

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

The Lounge Matters forum is intended for questions about the working of the Lounge. Your question is about an MS Office program. Could you please indicate which one? I'll move this thread to the appropriate forum.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

For lack of a response, I'll move this thread to the General MS Office Suite forum.

The original poster has never been back...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I believe that it is the MS Office Picture Manager that fires when you select a graphic, right click, and select Send to mail recipient. However I've never seen the question about optimization, and there's no optimization option under the Office Picture Manager menu. Can you explain in some detail the circumstances under which you get asked about optimization, and if possible advise which program is asking?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Tim

I think I see what you are talking about. I used an image of mine ( see below for a reduced sample).

The original size was 640 x 480 pixels in size. Placing it in Fireworks as a native file it was ready for export at the following values:

gif - 111.94 Kb
    jpeg - 40.70 Kb

The gif format allowed 128 colours, 10 of which were from the safe web palette, however

Pasting the said graphic in Word and right clicking the image --> Format Image | Picture | Compress a dialogue did show, I accepted and then pasted the new compressed image back into Fireworks. When it was set for export it had the following attributes:

gif - 101.03 Kb
    jpeg - 39.39 Kb

The gif format allowed 128 colours, 10 of which were from the safe web palette

The compression feature simply takes out a few colours and also because it was is reduced in physical size it is adjusted in file size to ( the two lists are assuming the aspect is still 640 x 480 ) otherwise compression reduces the files size to the current ratio aspect of the image
    Jerry