Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to reduce File Size f Word doc with graphics (2003)

How can I dramatically reduce the file size of a document that contains mostly graphics (the doc is one or two page stationary) . The size is over 1 MB. I know of 2 ways to reduce file size, but I can only get down to 390KB . This will be stationary that gets attached to emails, so I need to get it to 50 - 100KB maximum.
    1. Picture function compress does not seem to make any difference.
    2. If I paste the graphics using Paste Special / Pictures (Windows Metafile) - the size is reduced - but again, not nearly enough.
    Please tell me if you know of some additional more effective ways to reduce the file size. Thank you!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How to reduce File Size f Word doc with graphics (2003)

Graphics will take up much more space than text, so if the methods you described don't reduce the size far enough, you should reduce the number and/or the size of the graphic elements. Also, photographs can be reduced less than line art.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

The graphic elements are set from a design point of view. Am i better off grouping all the graphics into one large graphic - or having 4 individual graphics?

Also, why doesnt' compress do anything and is there any way to get this or anything else to help. Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Combining the graphics may or may not help - it's impossible to say without seeing them, but it might be worth a try.

Another option might be to edit the graphics in a graphics program such as IrfanView and save them with a lower quality. That should reduce the file size, but you may not like the result.

The bottom line is that good-quality graphics take up space, and the requirement to combine good-quality graphics with a file size of less than 100 KB may be contradictory. You can jump high or low, but you're not going to change that.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks - will look into Irfan!!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have found that my file is kept smaller by using the Insert Picture method rather than cutting and pasting pictures. It means a little more work in finding the pictures and saving them as .jpg's in a program like Irfan View or Paint, but I find worth the effort.

HTH

Kerry