Star Lounger
    Thanks

Make Tables with MS Query (E2K, SP-3)

It's hard to say whether this post should be in the Access forum, the Excel forum, or general office, but here goes:

I have written a database to integrate two other databases. Everything here works fine.

The problem is that the "reporting" tool is Excel. I'm using MS Query to bring in the data from Access, but some of the queries are horribly slow (they're queries built on queries built on queries...). I have found MS Query can run a make table query, which would speed the process considerably. The problem is how do I run a make table query in MS Query from Excel?

My thanks in advance.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Make Tables with MS Query (E2K, SP-3)

Interactively, you'd view the SQL of a query in MS Query and change its SQL to that of a make-table query (SELECT ... INTO ... FROM ...), but I have never actually tried this.

I'd do it in VBA, using DAO or ADO to connect to the database, and run an SQL statement.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did experiment with altering the SQL in MS Query to make a new table, and it worked like a charm, Hans. The problem was that it returned no data to Excel, so I couldn't record the action to "deconstruct" the macro and alter it accordingly. I'll see what I can do in VBA, but I have no real experience with ADO/DAO programming. Thanks for your reply.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

To use DAO:
    - Set a reference to the Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library in Tools | References.
    - Use code like this:

Dim dbs As DAO.Database
    Dim strPath As String
    Dim strSQL As String

strPath = "C:AccessMyDatabase.mdb"
    strSQL = "INSERT INTO tblNew (Field1, Field2) SELECT (Field1, Field2) FROM tblOld"

Set dbs = DAO.DBEngine.OpenDatabase(strPath)
    dbs.Execute strSQL, dbFailOnError
    dbs.Close
    Set dbs = Nothing