3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can AutoText be stored in a document? (Word 2000 SR-1)

I have been in the process of converting some 1100 Word 7.0/95 templates to Word 2000 documents, to be stored on our EDMS. Each of these documents is to contain all the functionality of the original template. Normally, I had been using Organizer to copy the macros, toolbars, etc. from the template to the document. Today, I noticed for the first time that, unlike in the Styles, Toolbars, or Macros tab, when I clicked on the AutoText tab, the side of the organizer which had been my document changed to my Normal.dot. Does this mean that documents in Word 2000 cannot contain AutoText?
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position or opinion of WCNOC.

BAM

Re: Can AutoText be stored in a document? (Word 2000 SR-1)

Hi Gary,

Yep, that's what it means. It wasn't until Word 97 that you could store Macros and Toolbars in a document and AutoText is still limited to Templates - even in Word XP.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

Thanks

Yes. You can use a global template, other than Normal.dot, though.

See: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm> Template Basics</A> (addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm) for more on templates (user and workgroup), document templates, global templates and Normal.dot. This also includes how the files are organized under File New and the location of template folders which varies not only by version of Word but also by operating system. Also see
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Customization/CreateATemplatePart2.htm>How to Create a Template]</A>, an excellent tutorial on the way to create a template that will not corrupt easily and that has a numbering structure tied to styles. If you download the Word version, it comes with a template built to these specifications for a manual or book.

For thoughts on moving customizations, see . For more on AutoText, try the links at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#AutoText> Web Resources - AutoText.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is there a specific reason for converting to documents as opposed to templates? I tried using documents instead of templates at one stage, but found that when you create a document based on a document, all the macros etc that were in the original document were then part of the new document. This meant my users sometimes had problems with security when they were emailing their documents to other organisations.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes. The reason that we are using documents, as opposed to templates, is two-fold. Our EDMS (Indus Curator, which is essentially Identitech FYI 2.5.5 SP3), when launching templates, gives the user a copy of the template (.dot) instead of a new document. At any rate, the files within our EDMS are not addressable from our network, which would preclude documents from referring back to the base template. Under Word 7.0/95, we had no choice but to store a second set of templates in a shared folder on a network server, with a "FormFinder" macro which allowed users to browse the form templates and create new documents based on them.

Now, with Word 2000's capability to store macros, toolbars, etc. within a document, storing the forms as documents in our EDMS allows users to launch documents which fully function as templates. Secondly, the need for dual storage is eliminated, reducing the possibility of error, personnel workload, and server space. An added benefit is that the users can take documents home to work, without the problem of not being able to access the company network to refer to the base template.
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position or opinion of WCNOC.