Lounger
    Thanks

Problem With Program Screens Autoscrolling (Windows XP MCE)

Hi, all.

I

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Problem With Program Screens Autoscrolling (Windows XP MCE)

I have no idea why the windows would scroll automatically, but does the surface on which you move the mouse make a difference? For example, a mouse mat, a shiny surface or a non-shiny (matte) surface?

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the reply, Hans.

This is with the mouse sitting still on the desk and no movement. I have tried a mousepad, and just the desk surface. It happens regardless. For example, I can boot up, open Outlook, and walk away. When I return (1 minute, 5 minutes, doesn't matter), the list will be quickly scrolling. Same thing with other programs I mentioned: Firefox, IE6, Word, Excel. It doesn't happen if there is only one screen's worth of data (no up/down scroll bar on the right hand side of the window) or if it is just the desktop.

This has never happened in the 8 months I've been using this PC. So it really has me stumped too. And things work - for example if I'm quick enough in a web page, I can click a hyperlink and it will work. Trying to get the online Symantec scan was a feat - and probably would have been funny to watch. [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Something else you could try: uninstall the specific mouse driver for your mouse and use the generic Windows XP mouse driver (Windows should automatically use this).

(I bought a new Logitech mouse last year and it behaved very unpredictably with the Logitech driver, so I went back to the generic Windows XP driver and now it works fine)

Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Thanks for the suggestion. That's one combination I didn't try. I tried different mouse, same drivers. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers (most current ones). Just didn't try it without the drivers. Will try tonight and see how it goes.

Brent

Lounger
    Thanks

Solved: Re: Problem With Program Screens Autosc

It turns out there was some issue with the USB port into which the mouse was plugged.

I bought a PS2 mouse, plugged it in, and had no problems. Unplugged it, plugged the USB back in, and the problem started back up.

For some reason, I thought to try plugging the USB into a different port, and the problem went away.

It honestly never would have occurred to me that this was a USB port problem. It's one of those times when being slightly compulsive works against you. The former port was always the "mouse port" in my mind. [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks to everyone for their time and help.

Brent

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Solved: Re: Problem With Program Screens Autosc

I'm glad the problem is solved. Thanks for posting the solution, it might well be useful to others.