Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Gifs vanishing?!! (WinXP/FrontpageXP)

I'm having a really weird problem here. Any gif graphic (and many are, since you can't use transparent backgrounds with jpgs) is just vanishing! Not all of them, although I haven't managed to work out what makes the difference yet, but most. And I don't mean I get a rectangle with a red cross in the corner - I mean it is VANISHING! It's as if the code simply isn't there in the first place! And it happens both in IE6 and Firefox with the published webs, but if I use 'preview in browser' with the unpublished files they're fine.

For instance - www.jinksthecat.info - the 'Purrfect Site' award on the left at the bottom of the contents is a gif - and that's fine. However, go to the Links page (third on the contents list) and scroll to the 'Other sites I like' section, and if you see anything other than the 4-legged friends line I'd love to hear about it!

Another example - www.thecobhamband.org - bottom of the home page, below the purple 'brass band portal' and above the webring graphic for the Brass Band Web should be a cartoony picture of a red cornet with 'scaba.co.uk' written above it - nothing!!

Has anyone come across this before, and if so how did they fix it, please?

The only change I made on my machine at around the same time (the only change I've made for ages!) was to remove all traces of Norton and replace it with the ZoneAlarm internet suite, but I'm fairly certain this started happening before I did that - not 100%, but fairly.

PLEASE can anyone help me sort this out?!!

Many thanks in advance!!
    Beryl M

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Gifs vanishing?!! (WinXP/FrontpageXP)

What you mean like this?
    Jerry

Thanks

In Firefox 1.5.0.7 I see lots of images. They are hosted on a different domain, however -- http://www.berylm.com/jinksthecat/images/Links/... -- which may have unintended consequences. For example, in Firefox, you can suppress images that are from an external domain. You would see the same effect on many popular web sites, so if you don't miss images on www.Apple.com, to name one site that hosts its images on a different domain, then this is not your problem. Check for any "ad blocking" software, and also try clearing your caches.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Beryl

On further investigation, you are using a frame set pointing to berylm.com have you looked at this in your Firefox settings?
    Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

You mean that's what you saw when you went to the site? Do you see the cornet graphic on the home page of the band site, too?

If that's the case, then it probably is the zonealarm suite that's blocking everything, because this attachment is what I see!

In which case I'll post my question on the 'other software' board as to what to do to stop zonealarm doing it!!

Thanks, Jezza!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Beryl M

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I see all images on both web pages you referred to...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, Jezza, that's another strange thing, because I'm NOT using a frameset! I seem to remember it's something to do with the ISP putting my site within a frameset on its site, but I'm not sure exactly how that works.

Should the check box you refer to be checked or unchecked? It's unchecked at the moment, but it hasn't been changed for as long as I can remember.

Ta ever so!
    Beryl M

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

OMG are you using UK2.net? They use thi sytem that places your site as a link from the index page of that they hoset and write a frame page that references the root folder.

I hosted a load of files for a colleague on MagicForest.co.uk and their site index created a frameset to that root folder and just showed their url.

On the weekend I switched the service off and used FTP to the root after she upgraded.

On the other point the image shows my settings and I can see it, mimic that.
    Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

No, I'm using Easyspace, but I've not had any problems with them before. I might chase them about that but it's a minor problem at the moment!

At least I now know that it's not the site that's doing it, it's my machine/software combination/setup, but it does beg the question of whether it's a combination that other people are going to have even if you and Hans don't and if so whether it'll happen to them!

I'll try asking about zonealarm on the other software board.

Thanks, Jezza!
    Beryl M

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Or at least, I would if there was one! Any suggestions where I should put my request?!!
    Beryl M

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'd ask it in the forum for the browser you're using: Internet Explorer for IE, or Other Browsers & Email Clients for FireFox.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans, trouble is, it happens in both IE and Firefox, but only on the published version of the site, not when 'previewing in browser' - which seems to indicate it's something that's being done when the pages come back into my machine, ie caused by firewall, antivirus, something like that. And since all of this is under the zonealarm suite now it seems likely that that is the culprit - do we have a board that would deal with this?!
    Beryl M

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Questions about computer security programs can be posted in the Spyware - AntiVirus - Safe Computing forum.