New Lounger
    Thanks

Installation Hangs (XP Pro SP2 )

Whenever I try fresh install to AMD Athlon 2400+, Kingston 512MB RAM, 80GB Maxtor HD
    1. Insert the Windows XP CD into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.
    2. When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message appears on the screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
    3. You receive the following message on the Welcome to Setup screen that appears:
    This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:
    To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
    The Setup files load.
    "Windows is loading Setup" appears at the bottom of the screen.
    Then it hangs!
    I've let it run at his point for several hours, but when I return the same message is at the bottom of the screen.
    It never advances to the "Windows XP Licensing Agreement" screen.
    I've removed all hardware from the slots save nVIDIA graphics card.
    Disabled Gigabyte onboard audio and LAN options in CMOS.
    Anyone ever heard of this?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Installation Hangs (XP Pro SP2 )

It was really not necessary to remove devices and disable any of them from BIOS - Windows Setup load only minimal drivers (no audio drivers, for instance) to run an OS.

If Setup hangs, first look at CD itself (is it clean and not damaged) and at CD/DVD driver (is it works properly; if you have two drives, try another one). If CD is constantly spinning when Setup hangs, this can be a problem.

Second, it can be memory problem (if you have two or more memory sticks, remove one and see wat's happen). If there is no activity in CD drive when Setup hangs, this is memory problem.

Third, you did not mention what kind of hard drive do you have - is it IDE or SATA, or SCSI ? Windows Setup requires drivers for all SATA devices (and some SCSI) - it prompts for the driver on the second screen. But in this case the error message is "Hard drive is not present..." so I doubt this is your problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your response.
    The CD is fine because it works on another PC that I have.
    The PC that it hangs on, I was able to load Windows ME on.
    I've tried to upgrade to XP Pro SP2 and everthing goes ok until it reboots. The blue XP Setup screen appears, a bunch of files are loaded, and then the screen goes blank with the cursor blinking at the top-left. I've left in this state for up to half an hour, but nothing changes.
    The memory is brand new Kingston DDR 400 512MB (2 sticks for a total of 1.2GB)
    I've tried removing one of them and then I've switched them.
    Same thing happens.
    The Maxtor HD is connected with IDE cable ATA 166.
    ME runs fine, it is stable, so I'm happy about that, however I need XP in order to run games and apps, which I miss not being able to use.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I would not recommend to upgrade existing Windows Me installation.

Consider to make "clean" installation:
    - make sure that you have all installation CDs and keys for all your installed programs (if you download Setup packages for some of your programs, make sure you have them on removable media);
    - if you have Upgrade Windows XP Installation CD, make sure you have full version Installation CD of previous Windows (98, Me, 2000);
    - backup or copy all your personal files to removable media;
    - if you prefer, make full backup or image your Windows installation to removable media;
    - check and write down all data of your accounts (web addresses, usernames and passwords);
    - if your Windows XP Installation CD does not have Service Pack 2 already embedded, I would recommend download full version of SP-2 and burn it onto CD;
    - also it is better to download all security updates for WinXP SP-2 (as of today there are 60 to 65 of them) and burn them onto CD also;
    - and check once again that your Antivirus Setup program is available and not outdated.

Now you are ready to make a "clean" Windows XP installation.
    Boot your computer from Windows XP Installation CD; when Setup recognizes your existing partitions, delete your boot partition (usually C: ) selecting partition and pressing "D", then "Enter", then "L".
    Next create a new partition, selecting unpartitioned space and pressing "C". Note: if you select an option "Install Windows on unpartitioned space" by pressing "Enter", Windows will be installed on partition F: !
    Then install Windows on newly created partition. I would recommend to format partition in NTFS.
    Do not forget disconnect your computer from the network and the phone line during installation. When Windows will try to connect to Microsoft searching for updates, press Skip. After your computer will boot to WIndows successfully the first time, install SP-2 (if necessary) and security updates. After rebooting, connect your computer to the network or to the phone line and install Antivirus. Update your Antivirus virus definitions immediately! Only after this step you can connect to Windows Updates, next install your programs, next restore your accounts, etc.

It will be a big job - full Windows installation usually takes 1 to 2 days, so be patient.

Good luck!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What setting is the BIOS using for Advanced Power Management? My hardware fully supports it, but Microsoft can't detect the support, causing my installations to always fail at the exact same point -- until I disabled the APM in the bios. Then the install went smoothly. Might be worth a try. The drawback is that I don't have all the power management options I should have.