Glum SP

Adding BOUND control on a Form? (Access 2000 9.0.4402 SR-1)

Hi folks!

Can't believe I'm having trouble with something so simple. Must be an off day <g!>!

How do I go about adding a BOUND control eg., a text box to a form? Not difficult using the form wizard, and resulting form can then later be modified by dragging a field from the field list to the form, after selecting its type in Toolbox etc.

But what if I then want to add a field from a DIFFERENT table than the one I used to create the wizard-generated form in the first place? Only the field list from the 'current' table shows and there does not appear to be a way to make other table field lists visible (like one can in the Relationships window, for example).

Or making this situation even clearer, what if I start with a 'clean slate' by designing a new form in Design View? How do I place bound controls - perhaps from a series of different tables - on the new form?

Gold Lounger
    Crystal Beach, FL, Florida, USA

Re: Adding BOUND control on a Form? (Access 2000 9.0.4402 SR-1)

A bound control means there is a controlsource property defined for that control. Typically, this means a field from the table or query that serves as the recordsource for the form. To have info from more than one table, you need to make a query as your recordsource, and join the tables in the query.

If you just want to display information in a bound field (but not update it), you can use an aggregate function (such as DLookup) to supply the information. You just preface the function with an equal sign in the control source: = DLookup(...etc....)
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Glum SP

Re: Adding BOUND control on a Form? (Access 2000 9.0.4402 SR-1)

Thanks Mark!

Your words were helpful thanks. (I was really surprised how easy it was to rebind my form to the new qry as opposed to the old table, without having to redo the form/lose all formatting work.)