Thread: Dual boot idiot

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dual boot idiot

When I set up my system to dual boot into Linux or XP, I had planned to use the windows boot system, but have ended up using lilo instead (the Mandrake Linux installer was being too helpful). I had not appreciated until I tried to swap a drive the other day that this has left me with a boot system that relies on both drives working well, as the boot sector and windows root is on one drive, whilst the linux partitions and lilo are on the other (I also have the windows swap file on the second drive, but my understanding is that windows will create one of those in a default location if the specified location is unavailable).

Any suggestions as to how I might be able to extricate myself from this situation and rejig my boot sector without having to perform major installation manouvres?

Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dual boot idiot

From your post is not clear, how many and which drives do you have and how did you partition them.

I can suggest only general options:

- if your computer's BIOS allows first boot drive selection, use it as boot menu;

- if you have Windows system partition as first active partition on the first bootable drive, edit BOOT.INI file similar as described in Booting Linux from the NT Boot Menu and many other similar articles;

- use third-party boot menu program, as VCOM System Commander, Linguist's System Commander and many other.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks,

Hope this will clarify. The boot sector is on the lower drive, with the windows root drive, and lilo is on the linux partitions. The most conceptually straightforward solution would be to use the windows boot manager, but I don't know how to reclaim the boot sequence from lilo, which currently fires before the nt boot loader, so editing boot.ini won't help in the first instance.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Once again:

- if you can't boot to Linux, then boot with the rescue disk and install LILO again as described in <A target="_blank" HREF="http://linuxgazette.net/issue61/padala.html">Booting Linux from the NT Boot Menu
    </A>, section Pitfalls, subsection 2. Did you try it?

Also please provide more information. Which kind of drives did you install (SATA, IDE, SCSI) and how they are connected (controller #, SCSI ID, Master/Slave/Cable Select) ?