Lounger
    Thanks

Shell32.dll not found (XP Pro SP 2)

When I try to boot my ThinkPad T41P I get a series of error messages that say:

winlogon.exe unable to locate - shell32.dll not found
    services.exe unable to locate - shell32.dll not found
    lsass.exe unable to locate - shell32.dll not found

I did some searching and the only thing I can find out is that it might be because windows update ran and I chose not to restart the machine before trying to use IE (which it had evidently just updated). This caused the shell32.dll and msgina.dll and some others to crap the bed. If this is indeed my problem.

I tried to use the XP Pro disc that came with my machine to run the AutoRepair, but it asks for an administrator password which I don't have. The place I bought it from says that they don't put admin passwords on their machines, so I'm outta luck. I've tried booting in safe mode to copy the dlls that appear to be corrupt, but everytime I try to boot it up I get no farther than the splash screen and as soon as it tries to activate winlogon or whatever it geeks out on me. Any ideas about how I can repair this/these .dlls without having to do a reinstall and lose all the pictures, etc. that are on my hard drive?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shell32.dll not found (XP Pro SP 2)

You could try logging in as Administrator with a blank password, if that doesn't work then see <post:=609,806>post 609,806</post:>

StuartR

Lounger
    Thanks

I've already tried a blank password, using the old standby's admin and administrator as passwords, and even a space but nothing seems to work. How do I try to log in as Administrator though if I can't get the logon screen to initialize? I looked at the link to change the admin password but it seems over my head.

Unless I get other ideas, I may just have to reinstall the OS altogether and lose all my data. Is it possible to take out the hard drive and set it up as a slave on another laptop to copy my stuff before reinstalling the OS?

Thanks for the help,

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

You can try the XP recovery console. See Live Search: recovery console for links and instructions. Also, you can try a repair installation first. See several links in Live Search: repair windows xp for information and instructions.

Try the recovery console first.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Well, if problem with shell32.dll, then trying to boot into the desktop in Safe Mode, will get the same problems.

Have you tried to boot to Safe Mode With Command Prompt? This will use the command interpreter as a shell. Log on with an account that has administrator credentials.

You can try to use the System Restore at the command prompt and roll back to an earlier RP; type and then press Enter:

%systemroot%system32restorerstrui.exe

One should note that when one use System Restore from Safe Mode or from the Command Prompt an Undo restore point will not be created. In normal case there will be an Undo RP, to use if the restore didn't work.

Joe also suggests some good steps to try.

How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in Windows XP

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I'll try that as soon as I get home tonight...