Thread: drop downs (xp)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

drop downs (xp)

I would like to place drop down in a group of cells but I want them to only be in 1 cell and stay with that cell. when something is picked with the drop down the is the value of the cell. The information for filling out the drop down list will come from another sheet in the workbook. In the end I want to use the auto filter feature and pick out only the things based on the choices from the drop downs..

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: drop downs (xp)

Can you explain what you mean by "I would like to place drop down in a group of cells but I want them to only be in 1 cell and stay with that cell."

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry Hans,
    I was a little rushed writing that... I ment a drop in cell F3 a drop in F4 a drop in F5 a drop in G3.... ect but the drop in cell F3 stays with cell F3. I have made drops but they are independent of the cell and float around.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can use Data | Validation with the List option to display a dropdown list in a cell. If you apply it to a range of cells, each cell in the range will have a dropdown list, but the dropdown arrow will only be displayed in the active cell.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

As Hans said, you can use Data Validation with the List option to accomplish what it sounds like you want. If you can't figure it out from that, if you will upload a sample workbook that shows what you want, we can show you how to do it.
    Legare Coleman

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Boy do I feel dumb. I totally missed the easy way. I was think you had to make a combo box for each cell and somehow attach it to the cell. I started to think it was a hard problem I did not even thing of the easy solution. What can I say.... you are the best.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Legare,

As soon as I read Hans reply I felt pretty bad. I was stuck thinking it was going to be a long hard task in VBA not thinking it was just a simple validation. I guess it goes to show you that the KISS method of thought is the best method of thought (Keep it Simple Silly). next time I will look at the easy stiff first. Thanks a lot for all your help guys. I am glad you are around for when I am having a daaa moment...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In concert to the solution provided, in doing this with data|validation, when a user clicks in the cell, can the begin to type and if the beginning is in the list haf it auto populate?

Brad

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

No. Excel will follow its standard AutoComplete rules: if there are nearby items in the same column beginning with the same letters, it'll autocomplete the entry. It won't use the validation list for autocompletion.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ok,

thanks,

Brad