3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE page links don't open files (IE 6, SP2)

Recently some clients have started having issues with embedded links to Word docs at a web site. It appears that a MS patch may have been applied and now the doc files do not open up when the links are double clicked. I have added the site to the trusted site list via a registry edit as the browser is locked down quite a bit.

We have applied the IE blank window fix to no avail. I am hoping I have just overlooked something basic.

-Jester
    I know enough to know I don't know enough

Thanks

Re: IE page links don't open files (IE 6, SP2)

As an aside, you should only need to single-left-click on a link in IE to activate the link.

Can the user download the file using a right-click and Save Target As?

If there is no special reason to use the Word ActiveX control to display the document inside the browser window, you could make sure that Browse in same window is UNchecked for the DOC file type in the File Types dialog (in Windows Explorer or My Computer: Tools>Folder Options..., File Types tab). Does that help?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was using the words provided by the client when I mentioned double click. Out of frustration, they probably triple and fourple clicked!! I will remote into one of the users and check the settings as suggested.

-Jester

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The web page in question does not allow the right click option for the doc links.

The often overlooked activeX or popup blocker setting is not involved here, at least overtly. Disabling the popup blocker makes not difference and there is no "click here" bar.

File type check boxes are already at the suggested settings.

-Jester

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for posting the workaround.
    Gre

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The solution has been to "Control Click" these links as if they were Word embedded links.

The web site in question is SEI financial's tech support gateway to their implementation of Magic Desk Help Desk software.

We confirmed the links did not start working after turning off SP2's pop up blocker whether site specific or completely. Making the site a trusted site made no difference, disabling 3rd party browser extensions made no difference.

The clients' popup settings had been edited to allow popups on the specific site by adding both the main seic.com domain and the help desk specific domain. Also, the settings were set to "low" or the less agressive setting. The use of the "control" key plus click is stated to be for the "high" or most agressive popup blocking level so the need for the control key would seem to be contrary to the users' settings.

So I am not satisfied that the true issue is known but the users at our location that need to open Word docs at this vendor web site have a work around, if not an answer or explanation.

-Jester