Lounger
    Thanks

Laptop Screen Cable Repair

Hi! My laptop's old but I like it, especially when the screen works. I've got a Compaq Presario 1600i laptop. The screen doesn't display anything at all, except when I fool with moving it open and shut and hit the magic postion. The cable must have a short in it. I can connect an external monitor to it and that works. However I want to use the laptop screen. What can I do? Can I fix this myself? How? Or, if I take it in, is it expensive? Hope someone can help!
    Thanks!!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Laptop Screen Cable Repair

This HP web site can give you an estimated repair cost. Unfortunately the Presario 1600i isn't listed, and since the page also says "For some lower-priced older products, HP is not in a position to repair old products as cheaply as it can manufacture new ones. In these situations, it can actually be less expensive to purchase a new product, rather than have an older one repaired." I think you may be out of luck.

StuartR

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Laptop Screen Cable Repair

You described your laptop as old, but did not say how old and its age is likely to be a factor in getting it repaired. It is most likely that you have an open (not a short) in either the display harness, the flexible flat ribbon cable or its connector. A loose connector might be fixed by simply reseating it. The display has to be removed from the bezel to diagnose and repair any of the conditions mentioned. You can do the reseating operation by yourself, but if you have no experience in handling modern electronic assemblies you may wind up breaking something. You may care less with an older computer. Items like flex cables and harnesses are frequently not sold as individual components by suppliers so it could be difficult to find a replacement, though a large repair shop would have access . The second-hand laptop display market is your best bet. Progress in the economics of display production in recent years has reduced the cost of displays significantly. Replacements for older displays still have the high price tag appropriate to their vintage so replacing an older display may be an unwise financial move.

As to costs, and you mileage may vary, figure $120 to $150 to have a cable or harness replaced, $250 to $300 to have a 12" display or recent vintage replaced, more for larger displays. If it is an older display, then look at getting a used display for which you may pay $75 to $100.

Paul