2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Field Code Problems When Converting to PDF (2003)

Hello all,

I have field codes in a Word 2003 document. All but one convert fine. We're in a Windows XP Professional environment. I am using Adobe Acrobat 7.0.5 Standard.

I am using the StyleRef code looking for a Chapter Title Word style.

The text with the Chapter Title style applied is:
    "Instructions Supplement 9.6.9.5-1"

The number 9.6.9.5 is a StyleRef field referring to an H4 level heading

When I convert either from Word 2003 or from within Acrobat 7.0 Standard (or Pro) the PDF includes an extra letter like so:
    Instructions Supplement T9.6.9.5-1T

When I convert from Word using File | Print and print to Adobe PDF, the conversion correctly displays the text with no extra characters!

Anyone know what is going on? Is this a bug in Acrobat 7.0, or do I need to be adjusting a setting somewhere? It happens consistently

Thanks so much,
    Rich

Thanks

Re: Field Code Problems When Converting to PDF (20

I don't use the PDFMaker, but I wonder whether it has tagged that field with the intention of doing something with it, and then forgotten to get around to cleaning it up. Could be a bug in the macro, or perhaps there is something especially unusual about the formatting near that reference. If you copy the paragraph to somewhere else, is the problem replicated?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, wherever I paste the paragraph, I get the same behavior. It's in a user defined style.

I think it has something to do with the referencing aspect of the field codes.

I get the behavior when referring (using the StyleRef field code) to the Chapter Title Style, that has embedded in it, a referral to an H4 (using the StyleRef field code) where the actual numbers reside. :-(

Thanks,
    Rich

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have seen Acrobat do something similar when the text contained characters that weren't in the standard ASCII character set (things like non breaking spaces, = signs etc.). Try configuring Acrobat to embed all of the fonts you are using in the output document and see if this makes a difference.

StuartR