Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Firewall - hardware and software?

I'm buying a new PC for my daughter. I'm going to make sure, naturally, that it will be well set up with anti-virus, antispyware, software firewall (I was going to go for ZoneAlarm, not just the XP firewall), etc, etc. She will be connecting to cable broadband. I was proposing to buy a router to put between the PC and the cable modem as an extra layer of protection to be a hardware firewall as well as a software one, but the computer shop is trying to talk me out of it - as she will only have the one PC in the house they think it's not necessary. Should I go for this belt and braces approach (or is that belt and suspenders across the Atlantic?) or am I being unduly cautious?

Ian

Thanks

Re: Firewall - hardware and software?

Ian,
    I would tend to agree with the computer shop people on this one. Seems like a bit of overkill to me as long as she keeps her AV, malware tools up to date.

Belt only or suspenders only should be good.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

I disagree with the computer shop people. The best thing you can do these days is construct a layered defense. Given the relatively inexpensive price of a router that contains a firewall it is cheap insurance. I run the free version of ZA at home and since I installed a router I've not seen any instrusion attempts blocked by ZA. That means that my computer is pretty well invisible and the router not my PC is doing the work of blocking the instrusions.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm with Joe on this one. The cost of a router is negligible and the reduction in risk is huge. It just takes a single exploitable loophole in your software firewall to let the bad guys in, but if you have a hardware firewall too then the chances of them being able to get through both are much much lower.

StuartR

Thanks

I suggest you wait and see what cable modem you get. In general, the standard cable modems I've seen seem fancier than the basic DSL modems. Sometimes they include basic firewall functionality already (or at least NAT - network address translation).

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Wait and see what kind of MODEM is provided, some of the NEWER broad band modems have a built in Router and and has a hardware firewall as well as network connections for Cat5 or Cat6.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

She already has the modem (used with her previous now defunct PC) and it doesn't have a firewall built in.

Ian

Thanks

That was my thinking. The price is not great and an element of redundancy is probably no bad thing.

Ian

Thanks

I would go for the router as well. I switched my daughters laptop over to Zone Alarm security suite for anti virus firewall etc. and am very pleased with it
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Ian

I have a wireless firewall router connected to my ntl:telewest cable modem, and I get virtually no hits in my ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite's firewall log. This contrasts with a friend of mine (admittedly with ADSL) with no hardware firewall where you could watch the ZA software firewall log and see the remote attempts coming in in real-time, one every few seconds... There were nearly 50000 entries for the last couple of months.

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Ian,

If your daughter's connection is only going to be used by one PC, then the BEFSR11 from Linksys would seem to be what you're looking for. It's a router with only one internal LAN port. If required later, a switch or hub can be purchased to be place on this port, with the PCs connected to the switch or hub at that time.

I agree with you, that a router is a good idea, coupled with the ZoneAlarm software.
    Christopher Baldrey

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Besides the extra layer of protection you get with a rouerwih a built in firewall, you also get the ability to share the internet connection with other computers, whether by cable, or wi-fi. Everyone nowadays has laptops and pdas and game consoles and other things that can take advatage of an internet connection, so this is a nice feature to have.

Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have bought a Safecom one today like this . Only

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A firewall suggestion: Comodo (www.comodo.com). PC Magazine reviewed it and said it was better than many of the paid for firewalls, far better than any of the other free firewalls, and on a par with Zone Alarm Pro. I've been using it for a month now and am very pleased with it.

As for antivirus software, after reading all the reviews on the paid for and the freebies, I ended up with BitDefender 10 AV. They have a good deal -- 2 years for 2 computers for $39.95 (US). The PC magazines rated BitDefender and Kaspersky as the top AV programs and gave low marks to the freebies based on viruses caught and removed.

Thanks

Do you think Comodo has advantages over ZA free, which I use at the moment, and if so, what are they?

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast