Thanks

Problems with moved messages (2003 SP2)

Has anyone else observed the change in the behaviour of moved messages that is described below?
    Outlook 2003 SP2 / XP SP2 / fully patched.

1. Move & Delete

In my installation, all messages are moved on receipt from the Inbox to another folder via various rules. If I move the message again manually, that works, but if I try to move it a second time, (because the first move was a mistake), Outlook prevents the action. Deletion is prevented in a similar way. If Outlook is closed and then reopened, the messsage now behaves normally again.

2. Reply

If a message is moved to another folder and then opened and replied to, the copy of the reply is stored in the original folder rather than the one currently containing the message.

I first noticed these behaviours after the latest (October) round of monthly patches, and am now sure they occur consistently.

JPL

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Problems with moved messages (2003 SP2)

1. Are you sure that you don't have a rule conflict? Do your Rules include "Stop processing Rules"? I occasionally have a lockup when I have copied large attachments between messages. Do the problem messages have attachments?

2. Reset the following checkbox, close and restart Outlook to see if it helps: Tools | Options | Email Options | Advanced | In folders other than the Inbox, save replies with the original message
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

Thanks for your thoughts on these rather odd problems.

1. I don't think I have a rule conflict as the problem is a new one, but I have created no new rules for ages. Almost all (50 or so) of the rules do have "stop processing more rules" set. The messages involved did not have attachments.

2. I have done that, but have not yet tested to see if there has been a change.

Clearly these problems do not have serious consequences, merely a minor inconvenience. It was only when I finally realised that both applied to messages that had been moved, and that they had first occurred at about the same time, that I decided to post the details.

Thanks

2. I have tried a quick test on this:

I manually moved a message stored in folder A into folder B, and then replied to it. OL stored the reply in folder A.
    I immediately closed OL and then restarted it. When I replied again to the message (still in folder [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img], OL stored the reply in folder B as expected.

Therefore resetting "In folders other than the Inbox, save replies with original message" had no effect.

JPL