Thread: Linksys WRT45G

Thanks

Linksys WRT45G

My next door neighboor just purchased a Linksys Wireless Router (WRT45G) along with a Linksys wirelessG card. I went over to set it up, and his laptop wont see the wireless card so I uninstalled it and re installed with no luck. His laptop is connected via a USB cable to the Comcast modem for now. I then went to his daughters new HP laptop, and was able to connect to the wireless setup, but could not get out to the web. I thought Ok this is strange, so I took my own laptop and had the same results,. Connect and showed 54Mbs speed but cant get out to the internet. I am going back over tomorrow to do a reset on the router, and am bringing my older (spare) Wireless B router. Any ideas of other things I should look for would be appreciated.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Linksys WRT45G

You are going to have to connect the router to the modem using a Cat 5 cable.
    Then the wireless can connect to the internet.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Now I hate to admit this but I didn't physically look to see if he had disconnected the router from the modem mainly because there were connection lights blinking from ports 3 & 4 on the front of the router, but that should have been a clue. Like I said though I'm starting from scratch on this one. Time to remember to "Get Back To Basics".
    Thanks Dave
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks

Ok, I looked and he had connected the cable from the Comcast Modem to one of the 4 ports on the router. I disconnected and re set everything I could connect to the wireless network bu couldnt get on the internet. I then took my own router (spare that I use for business) and set it up with the same results. Connect fine no internet on his laptop, and on mine as well. Linksys and Comcast were of absolutely no help. He is bringing his laptop over here this afternoon, and if I can get him on my wireless network, I would have to surmise that the problem starts with the Comcast modem because I couldnt connect with my other router either.
    Any other Ideas?
    Thanks John

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

It sounds like the ISP could be assigning IP Addresses by MAC.

I believe your original post mentioned it was a direct connection from the PC to the modem. Obtain the MAC of the PC's interface (how it used to be connected), and put it in the available configuration screen for the router to SPOOF the address.
    Christopher Baldrey

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Did you replace the USB cable on the laptop?
    USB connection have problems sharing the internet.

Next, try a wired router and see if it will work, as the wireless may be blocking everyone from the internet.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Ok Will try that
    Thanks John

Thanks

Hi,
    Can I just check a couple of things:
    1. You are actually talking about the WRT54G?
    2. The modem is connected via Cat5 to the Internet port, not one of the 4 internal ports.
    3. The green internet light on the front panel is on.
    4. Did you run through the setup Wizard for the router? This should enable it to detect the type of internet connection you have (if it's DSL, you need to enter the user name and password for the router to be able to connect)

HTH
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Thanks

Actually talking to the WRT45G = Yes
    Modem connected via Cat5 to internet port = Yes
    Green light on = Yes
    Set up wizard = Yes
    What we saw was that there was no MAC address. Linksys said call comcast to get one assigned. I questioned this, as I never had to do that.
    I did all of this on my laptop since my neighboors laptop's ethernet port wasnt working. We finally gave up and called Linksys, and after about a half hour or so they gave up and said return it and get a new one. He did, and got such a big run around from Comp USA he hasnt gotten a new one yet. I need to bring it over here to see if we can get it up on my wireless network again. Havent had the time yet. We will work on this again after T-Day. Will keep you posted.
    Thanks John

Thanks

Q1 - I think Rory was asking if you were talking ABOUT (not TO) the WRT<big><big>54</big></big>G (which is listed on the Linksys site) as opposed to the WRT<big><big>45</big></big>G (which isn't).