Thanks

OStrange problem happening with Word 2000 (Word 2000)

I have a PC with Word 200. It works fine except when I try to view eight or more MS Word pages at the same time, my screen goes black and a small blue window appears stating "DPMS Going to standby". Then the screen goes completely black. The PC is still running. The only way I can get my PC to work again is to restart it. I do not have this problem with any other programs that I have on my PC. I can open as many Excel pages that I would like without the problem happening. I have changed the memory, checked the video card fan, Power Supply fans, and cleaned any dust from the inside of the PC. Used the
    Catz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: OStrange problem happening with Word 2000 (Word 2000)

How much RAM do you have, and what are your swap file (virtual memory) settings? To check the latter, open the System control panel, activate the Performance tab and click Virtual Memory.

Thanks

PS Thank you Hans, for your reply.
    Catz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

512 MB should be ample with Windows 98. Your processor usage is quite high, though - in your screenshot it is above 80% almost all of the time. Just having Word documents open shouldn't take up much processor time. Can you find out which processes are eating up all that processor time?

Thanks

Edited by HansV to replace Word doc attachment with the picture it contained.

My Ram is 512 and here I hope is a picture of the swap file usage.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg x.jpg (35.3 KB, 0 views)
    Catz

Thanks

Thank you Hans for your reply. I have included a screen shot of msconfig and close prpgram windows that I believe tell me what is running all the time while my PC is on.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Catz

Thanks

Re: OStrange problem happening with Word 2000 (Wor

Do you use an antivirus package with an office plug-in or extension? This might be overloading with numerous documents open... You also could take a look at Phil's star post Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Doh - I forgot that Windows 98 doesn't have a Task Manager displaying how much memory and CPU time each running process is using.

I'm afraid I have no further suggestions, except opening no more than 7 documents at a time in Word. Sorry.

Thanks

Thank jscher2000 for your reply. I tried looking for normal.dot and could not find it any where on my PC. I know I should have it because I changed it to normal.old a very long time ago. That change is gone many reformats ago. I used find to search for it. Is it some place else other than the hard drive or can it be downloaded from the installation disc or the internet. I have word 2000.
    Catz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

Thanks guys for your help. I think I have the problem solved. I could only find anything that would be close to "Normal.dot" (without the ") through "Find" an item called Normal that had a Word icon next to it. I opened the icon and it opened a Word page. I went back to the Normal and changed it's name from Normal to Normal.old. Rebooted my PC and tried to open more than eight pages and ......(there is a PC God....it's you guys) now I can open as many Word documents as my resources can handle. Thanks again guys. (At this rate this six year old PC should last me another six years.
    Catz

Thanks

PS Hans. Can you tell me how you put the picture I sent to you in the message box the way you did? I'd like to know because I'd like to be able to do the same thing in the future if needed.
    Catz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you hide extensions for known file types, Windows Explorer will show the file name as Normal instead of Normal.dot.
    You can change this in the View tab of Tools | Folder Options in Windows Explorer. It is a good idea *not* to hide extensions of known file types, because seeing the extensions gives ypu a much better idea of what you're working with. Also, some e-mail viruses try to trick you by using a double extension. If you show the extensions, you'll see that immediately.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

1) You can use Alt+PrintScreen to copy the active window to the clipboard.
    2) Paste into a graphics program such as Paint or Microsoft Photo Editor (part of MS Office).
    3) Crop to the part you need.
    4) Save as a .png or .gif file.
    5) When composing a post or reply, click the Browse... button next to the 'Attach a file' box.
    6) Select the file you saved.
    7) Don't preview your post *after* specifying the attachment.

You can also use a screen capture program such as FastStone Screen Capture (free, there are many others).
    Screen capture programs usually let you annotate the screenshot and save it.