Thread: Slow Laptop

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Slow Laptop

I don't know if this problem is solvable here, but maybe someone can point me in the right direction. I am not an IS person, just a user.
    I have a company laptop, an HP nc6230. We use XP, Office and Outlook, along with some custom apps, and are set up on a network. I also have Windows Desktop Search. I started using this laptop, brand new, in the fall of last year. Around April, it started taking a long time to boot, like 10-15 minutes. Also, it would start running slow and the mouse would sometimes start moving across the screen on it's own, almost like something taking over the computer and running in the background. Even when using Media Player to play music or videos, it would start cutting out and skipping. None of this happens consistently, it seems very random.
    The IS folks, after many calls from me, started looking at it. They couldn't find anything wrong, no spyware or anything like that, (I'm not sure what we use for that but whatever it is, it seems to work well, I never get junk mail or any type of indication of spyware) so they re-imaged the computer. After that, everything seemed to run well, for a while. About a month ago, it started doing the same things. I talked to IS again and they said that there wasn't anything that they could do. They didn't want to re-image the computer every month or so.
    Any idea what I should look for? Something is taking over and I just don't know what steps to take to figure out the problem, now that I am "on my own". Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Slow Laptop

Hi Don

When this happens, right hand mouse click on the task bar and select Task Manager Click on The Perfomance Tab is the graph very high near 100% also have a look at the Applications and Processes. In the latter which applications are using the most memory?
    Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I have been monitoring the Task Manager and it does run close to 100% when I am having the problem. When I look at Processes, typically, it is IExplore.exe, Outlook.exe and svchost.exe that are at the top of the list. Any time I open a program, it jumps up to 100% and then settles back down. This may be typical, I'm not sure. Thanks for the help.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Don,
    You mentioned "no spyware or anything like that" was found on your computer. Does that mean that a complete check for virus problems was done as well as for spyware? Even if it was done previously, I would do a virus check with the machine in its current state before I did anything else. Next, You might consider doing a screen capture of the task manager's processes window and attach it here for the experts to study - click on the Mem Usage tab twice to get the process list sorted by memory usege. Do you have the same sluggish performance ON and OFF the network?

Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It is set up with Symantec Anti Virus. It never seems to find anything, (I know, the inability to find a problem does not mean that it doesn't exist).

It doesn't seem to matter if it is on the network or not, at least as far as the boot time. I don't use it enough off network, (and I don't use it the same, typically I only open one program at a time when I am off the network, just because I am only trying to accomplish one specific thing) to tell if there is the same problems.

I did another virus scan and it found no threats. I attached a copy of that, along with some screen shots of the Task Manager. Thanks for the help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Don

I am not too happy with the item comexec.exe running on your system. Can you save all your work, close down Word and Outlook and the open the processes tab again, highlight comexec.exe and then press End Process.

Now try doing a web search and see if you can replicate the slowdown by doing an internet search. Does that speed up things?
    Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Jerry.

I did stop the process on that item, you wrote comexec.exe, I think you meant CCMexec.exe. I checked it out and it sounds like that could be a potential slowdown but only when on battery power, most of time, I am on AC Power. After stopping the process, I still have the same slowdowns, the primary Mem Usage user, seems to be IEXPLORE.EXE, it stays right at the top of the list. Maybe it's something running in the background on that, I'm not sure. I'll keep monitoring today and see what happens. Thanks again for the help.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Don,
    I think Jerry wrote correctly in suggesting to stop comexec.exe.

Looking at your memory usage for the top several processes I am struck by the fact that their usage is multiple times the amounts as I see for the same processes on two XP systems I run. Perhaps this is related to the fact that you have the box checked for Show Processes for All Users. If you uncheck the box do the values change?

Paul

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry Don. I was correct, comexec.exe, there have been issues raised upon several techy forums that this is a little if unknown executable inside the Window environment and it is well worth getting it checked out by your anti-virus vendor. Search for it on you PC and if you are able zip it to file and send a copy to you AV supplier who can interrogate it.

I had a friend who gave me her laptop as it was running slowing, freezing etc and it all came down to her having about 15 dial ups on her laptop...this conexec.exe could be an example and should get checked.
    Jerry