3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft Query (2003(11.8012.8036)sp2)

Hi there!

I have an annoying problem re the above. I have an ODBC link into a secured Access database that works ok. I set up a link to a query within the DB for user so he can pull back online data and pivot to his hearts content. I have just added a further field that groups quarterly information into Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun etc and as an additional request split out the months for the latest qtr, rather than display them as a qtr. The means for doing this in Access, was to use the MonthName built in function which works absolutely fine in Access (i.e. displays Oct 2006, Nov 2006), but has now caused a problem with Excel's Microsoft Query in that it displays "Undefined function 'MonthName' in expression. and when you click ok dumps you back at Excel or if you are trying to set up a new query, back at Excel's Query Wizards screen.

Has anyone else come across this? If so is there a fix? I've tried querying the original query in Access, but get the same problem.

Cheers,

Niven

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Microsoft Query (2003(11.8012.8036)sp2)

Aha! that explains it.

Doh! In my frustration I forgot about the format function.

Cheers,

Niven

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Microsoft Query (2003(11.8012.8036)sp2)

The ODBC driver doesn't 'know' the MonthName function, which is a relatively new addition to VBA.

You can use Format([DateField],"mmmm") in the Access query. The Format function shouldn't cause a problem.