WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

Disjointed sort (Excel2003)

I would like to automate a 'disjointed' sort.

Suppose I have a single column data block (BlockA) of codes entered as text in [A1:A20]

Suppose I have another block (BlockB) containing multiple columns but same number of rows e.g. [DA1M20]
    The cells in Block B are all formulas, returning a numeric percentage value.

I want to be able to sort say, only the single column range [DH1H20] within BlockB, in ascending value order, but I want the corresponding row entries in BlockA to be 'included' in the sort, i.e. synchronised.
    Similarly, I may want to sort only the column range [DP1P20] within BlockB, again with the corresponding entries in BlockA 'moving' with this sort.

For various reasons, I cannot simply define a 'new' single sort range block which includes both e.g. sorting on range [A1H20]

Any suggestions???

zeddy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Disjointed sort (Excel2003)

Move the column from block B you want to sort on so that it is adjacent to block A, for example by dragging it with the Shift key held down.
    Select the two now adjacent columns and sort on the second one (the one you moved.)
    Move the column back to its original location.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Cut and paste the data of A1:A20 into DN1. In A1, type a formula : = DN1 and enter. Autofill this down to A20. Then sort on any column in Block B. (Since the data in A1:A20 is a copy of the Block B column DN it will reflect the changes that occur as Block B is sorted).
    Regards,
    Rudi

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

Nice idea!
    However, I don't have a spare adjacent column.
    (I suppose I could temporarily insert a column and then remove it - but it is a complex worksheet structure and I'm reluctant to do that)

I was thinking something like read in the both the column values into two arrays, sort the required one and then 'organise' the first array and then write it back to the sheet.
    What do you think?

zeddy

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

Hi Rudi

Unfortumately I also have several other disjointed 'blocks', BlockC, BlockD, .., etc
    Changing the A1:A20 from a 'data entry' value into a formula wouldn't suit my requirements.

But I agree with the principle.

zeddy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

No problem...it was the first idea that came to mind...

PS: Based on what Hans mentioned....you do not need a "spare" column if you use the Shift key to move the column. As long as you hold down Shift, it will insert the selection pushing the other columns to the right. Same idea when you take it back. (You can also right click and drag the column choosing Shift right and Copy/Cut.

regarding your idea. You could use formulas to link to the blocks and complie them into a list on another sheet. Then sort the formulas that are complied and once sorted, copy over the original data, pasting as values.
    Regards,
    Rudi

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Perhaps you can adapt the macro in the attached sample workbook. It uses a bubble sort algorithm, so it will be slow on large datasets. With 20 rows, that won't be a problem.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

Hi Hans/Rudi

Many thanks to you both.
    I used a bit of info from both replies and now have a hunky-dory routine that does exactly what I want .
    Fantastic!

zeddy