Star Lounger
    Summerville, South Carolina, USA

Access/SQL Server Deployment issue (Access 2003)

I have an access database that links to a SQL server 2000 backend. I develop this database on my local pc and send the database to 3 different end users. I have also set up their ODBC connection on their system to link to the SQL Server. I send this database via email and they save it to their desktop. When they try to access the tables, they get an error message stating that the linked table can not be found. Some of the tables work... some do not. So on the ones that do not work, I have them re-link the table and everything is fine. However, the problem occurs again once I make changes and resend it. I did not have this problem with Access 2000.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Frederick, Maryland, USA

Re: Access/SQL Server Deployment issue (Access 2003)

Any chance they are saving the back end on their desktop and connecting to it. I find that sometimes the link is based on the userid in the path to the desktop and it doesn't always work. If so, try saving the backend to the C drive. (Of course, this doesn't explain why some of the tables link properly)

Of course another option would be to write a routine that appends only new data to existing tables that they could launch so they do not break the links.

(It's been a while!)