Silver Lounger
    Thanks

remove reading pane on folder creation (2003)

Hi All,

Is there some "master" folder template that is used when creating a new folder in Outlook? It seems that whenever I create a new email folder that the reading pane is turned on to appear at the right. I don't like the reading pane, so I turn it off as soon as I open the folder the first time. It seems to stay off after that but it's a nuisance to have to turn it off.

I tried searching Outlook's Help but didn't see anything useful. I saw some VBA code for manipulating some of the other panes but there did not seem to be anything pertaining to the reading pane. Likewise, I tried looking for a "default" folder but that turned up empty too.

TIA

Fred

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: remove reading pane on folder creation (2003)

You can add the /nopreview switch to the target of the shortcut you use to start Outlook. This will disable the reading pane entirely. The target could look like this:

<code>"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice11Outlook.exe" /recycle /nopreview</code>

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks again Hans.

While the system I'm concerned about is at work and I'm at home now, the situation is about the same. I have Outlook here at home but I use Outlook Express at home and Outlook at the office (corporate standard).

I tried putting in the /nopreview switch in the shortcut. But there seems to be several shortcuts for Outlook. The one on my Desktop in both places has a Target of "Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003". I recall there was a way of finding out where the folder was for the exe that pointed to, but don't recall what it was. The shortcut I changed at work was one in Documents and Settings, either in the All Users folder or in my personal folder; the other one was like the one on the Desktop. That didn't change anything. I guess I can just create a new shortcut by navigating to the exe itself and using that from now on.

However, I would have thought that Outlook had some idea of a "default folder" or a "folder template" to serve as a model when I create a new folder (or several of them, one for each info type - mail, calendar, contacts, etc).

Fred

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The shortcut with a target of "Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003" is a special one, you cannot change its target.

As far as I know, there is no 'default item folder' in Outlook.