New Lounger
    Thanks

set .exe as file type - cannot run anything (XP SP

I was absentmindedly changing a short cut to a new version of Adobie photoshop essentials rather than set one up and somehow managed to allocate file type application to always run photoshop essentials. I did not realise that was possible. Everything ran Essentials. I could not even uninstall it.
    I changed it to run windows explorer in the hope I could access file types and alter something there but that does not run so now nothing runs. To add to my woes the photoshop shortcut has removed itself.
    I can access the computer through the house network on the computer I am now using. Is there any way I can do something through the network to delete my wrong setting rather than competely re-install windows. I cannot even run regedit of course to check registry or run Help & Support to get to Restore. I tried Last Known Good but it does not help.

Just tried running in Safe mode but still I cannot run anything in order to get to the System Restore wizard

HELP!!!

IsobelB

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: set .exe as file type - cannot run anything (XP SP

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Try the following:
    - Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to start the Task Manager.
    - Hold down the Ctrl key and select File | New Task (Run).
    - This will open a command prompt window.
    - Type regedit.exe.
    - This should start RegEdit.
    - You can either try to repair manually, or import the .reg file for EXE File Association Fix from Windows XP File Assocation Fixes

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: set .exe as file type - cannot run anything (X

BRILLIANT

It worked!

I had found what seemed to be the registry entry on this computer already so once I could run regedit all I needed to do was to copy the entry
    You have saved me so much time. I know I could do with a re-build but I would rather leave it to when I move to Vista!

Regards
    IsobelB