New Lounger
    Thanks

Need help with MS Word (XP)

Hi

There something i need MS Word to do and can't figure how... I want to to add exhibits to the end of the documents, and that the occurance of the exhibits refernces in the document will be assigned consecutive letters. For example: if i have 2 exhibits in the document ("Exhibit A", "Exhibit B") and i add a third one somewhere in the text between those two refernces the new exhibit will show as "Exhibit B" and the old B will turn to "Exhibit C".

Any ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Need help with MS Word (XP)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

I'd create a style for the exhibit headers:
    - Select Format | Styles and Formatting... to activate the task pane of that name.
    - Click New Style.
    - Give the new style a name, for example Exhibit.
    - Specify Normal (or whatever you use for the body of the document) as 'Style for following paragraph'.
    - Click Format | Numbering...
    - Activate the Numbering tab.
    - Select the A, B, C, ... numbering style
    - Click Customize...
    - Type Exhibit and a space before the A.
    - Specify the indentation for the number.
    - When done, OK your way out.
    - Apply the new style where needed.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Another way to do this is to define a custom caption label.

Insert > Reference > Caption
    New Label...
    Exhibit
    OK
    Numbering...
    Format A, B, C
    OK
    OK

The new caption label will be defined in your normal.dot, so you only need to do this once, and you can then just do
    Insert > Reference > Caption
    Exhibit
    OK

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the prompt replies guys [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] great forum you got here!

What i need is a bit more complex, so ill just try working my way asking more questions...

Suppose i have 1 page of text with "Exhibit A" and "Exhibit B" and then 2 pages for each exhibit, 5 pages in total. I want the footer on the Exhibit pages to note they belong to each of them. So at the footer of pages 2 and 3 i'll "Exhibit A" and "Exhibit B" for the footer of pages 4 and 5.

The way Stuart suggested suits me better for the occurrences of the exhibits on the first page. This way if i add another Exhibit caption between them it will show "Exhibit B" and the former B will turn to "Exhibit C".

What i want now is that the footer of pages 4 and 5 will show "Exhibit C" (Instead of [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] as well. So basically i want the Letters in the footer of the exhibit pages to match the ones in the body text (Page 1).

Any way i can do this?

Cheers for the help! [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm afraid you've lost me. You've got the captions for Exhibit A and Exhibit B on page 1, then text about these exhibits on subsequent pages? How do you indicate what belongs to what? Perhaps you could attach a small sample document (with dummy contents) illustrating what you want.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, i tired to make it as simple as i could [img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img]

i attached a zip file containing two Word documents.

The firs one has 1 page containing "Exhibit A" and "Exhibit B" captions. pages 2 and 3 ARE exhibit A and pages 4 and 5 ARE exhibit B.

In the second document i added another caption "Exhibit B" (red) so the original B turned to "Exhibit C" (green).

I want this change to be reflected in the footer of the pages 4 and 5 so that it would automatically change to "Exhibit C" in both pages.

Hope i explained myself better. (If not, ill try again [img]/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img] )
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There is text for only two exhibits in the second document, although three exhibits are mentioned on the first page. Is that correct?

New Lounger
    Thanks

well yes... technically i would want the footer in pages 4 and 5 to change from B to C once the extra caption is added. I would then add the new exhibit B manually before exhibit C.

Can you see the big picture now? i want the letters in the footer of the exhibit pages to change accordying to changes made in the main document every time captions are added.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm still struggling. How should Word know which text (on pages 2 and further) belongs to which exhibit?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm a little confused, but I think the best you could do would be to define a Style, as HansV suggested, and to use this style for the first paragraph of each exhibit. You could then use a { Styleref } field to include the correct exhibit number in the footer, and cross references on the first page to keep the correct information updated there.

This would require you to have something like
    Exhibit A - blah blah blah
    as the first line for each exhibit, and you would have to create the front page manually, adding a new exhibit would automatically renumber all of the other exhibits though.

StuartR
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks

thaks guys,

you've given me quite a few clues, ill keep trying until i find a way

Cheers [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I think I followed what you want, so let me give it a try.

In your "main body" of text, you have a reference to Exhibit A and a later one in the document to Exhibit B. You may revise the document to add a new Exhibit B in between. So your document looks like (forgive me for not actually creating a document)

OLD DOCUMENT:
    blah see Exhibit A about filing fees
    blah blah
    blah see Exhibit B about refunds
    end of main body
    EXHIBIT A ON FILING FEES [1 or more pages with footer saying Exhibit A]
    EXHIBIT B ON REFUNDS [1 or more pages with footer saying Exhibit A]

REVISED DOCUMENT
    blah see Exhibit A about filing fees
    blah blah
    blah see Exhibit B about schedules
    blah blah
    blah see Exhibit C about refunds
    EXHIBIT A ON FILING FEES [1 or more pages with footer saying Exhibit A]
    EXHIBIT B ON SCHEDULES [1 or more pages with footer saying Exhibit B]
    EXHIBIT C ON REFUNDS [1 or more pages with footer saying Exhibit C]

I usually do this kind of thing following Stuart's approach of making a new caption type. That way, when I add a caption, I pick the type (Figure, Exhibit, Table, etc). Inserting a new caption and updating the later ones is straightforward. I think Word takes care of updating the B to C, per the above. At most, it's a Select All (unless references are in headers or footers or text boxes, since I don't think Select All really selects those).

The trick is in the Exhibits.

I'd create a bookmark around the Exhibit x in the main body (where x is inserted by Word so that things stay in order). For ease of later reference, name the bookmark something like Exhibit_on_fees. Do NOT use the letter in the bookmark name because those may change and you'll only confuse yourself after inserting new Exhibits.

Now create the exhibits. You'll have to precede each exhibit with a Section Break Next Page, including the first exhibit; I'll say why in a moment. If you want to put the word exhibit and its letter in a title at the top of the first page of the exhibit, insert a cross-reference where you want this to appear. When you're asked for cross-reference to what, pick Bookmarks, Bookmark text, pick the bookmark name corresponding to this exhibit. So what you'll be choosing is something like Exhibit_on_fees and what you'll get is Exhibit A.

For the footer, you basically do the same thing. Insert a cross-reference to the same bookmark in the same way.

You want the footers in each section to NOT be linked to the previous section. This allows you to have a different footer for each section. Even though it appears that the footers differ only in the letter, remember that you've inserted a cross-reference to a bookmark in the footer. Each bookmark is different.

When you create the exhibits, it really doesn't matter if you create them in any order if you're printing out the doc. Since each exhibit's title and footer picks up the A, B, C from the main body text, they can come out in any order and you can reshuffle the paper. Of course, positioning the cursor after Exhibit A and before an old Exhibit B to create a new Exhibit B is probably better.

If you do insert a reference to a new Exhibit between 2 old ones in the main body, you do have to do a Select All and update fields (I think the hot key is F9) to get the titles and footers in the exhibits to update. I'm not 100% sure if the footers will update because they're considered another "story" (and that's another story). Anyway, there are posts on the Word board that provide macros that will go thru each "story" and update the fields in them.

Anyway, this hopefully is enough to get you going. You might have thought it would have been easier for me to create a sample doc. Probably right but I'd have to create 2 docs to show it works. If you have trouble with the above, let me know and I'll give that a whirl when I have more time.

Fred