5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

update process (Vista)

I was trying to get ready to upgrade and thinking about the process. I would like to format my HD and start over. I am not sure about the "Easy Transfer"? Maybe use that with a DVD or external HD?
    I am posting this as a start. I look forward to the real experts enlightening the rest of us

Thanks

1) backup
    2) Backup again
    3) Check the backups that they work
    4) Run Belarc or something similar to see what programs are installed
    5) Check all your programs if they are Vista capable
    6) Pay special attention to utilities if
    a. They work
    b. They are still needed
    7) Check if your AV firewall spyware work
    8) Collect your install disks, and downloaded programs.
    9) Copy your favorites folder, outlook folders so they can be easily reinstalled

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: update process (Vista)

Your list sounds like a good start, Zave. Your number 5 will probably be the most difficult as I suppose most, if not all, programs or hardware will need updates or drivers to make them Vista capable. That's one of the reasons that I decided to dual boot Vista on a second, LARGER hard drive, so that I won't be knocked out of commission by something not working or not yet available in (for) Vista. I can easily reboot the machine to my current version of XP or Vista to do what I need to do.

Regarding your number 6, I've had to laugh at myself in the past about "utilities" when I last installed XP Pro three or four years ago. I did EXACTLY as you describe and made a Belarc list of all that was installed on my (then) Win98 OS. As I got around to installing each so-called utility, I would cross it off the Belarc list. Do you know that, after all this time, some of those "necessary" programs NEVER got re-installed. So, it's worth the clean install just to get one's house-in-order every few years. It's amazing what dust you might find under things! Good luck.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

As far as your Backups are concerned, beware that a lot of the CURRENT backup programs do NOT work with Vista. TrueImage version 10 will work in BOTH XP and Vista, all I have at thime is the 15 day trial version, but reports on the net says the full program works great in Vista R2 and RTM (Gold).

I hope you are NOT using the "Microsoft Backup" program, as it will not restore files from a earlier version.

Most all of the current utilities are going to need to be updated. Some of the "Lite-ware" that comes with cameras, scanners and etc may not work. I have a CanoScan LiDE 25, which works great as long as I install just the Twain driver and the scanner software, NO extras such as the OminPage SE (OCR program) and the photo editing program ( I use Photo Shop Pro and Digital Image anyway). The AV programs are just coming on line to be working, but I am using MS OneCare on my Vista Gold install and it is working great.

I am about half way through in loading my software and hardware, so when I get through, I will post a list of good and bad happenings.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

maybe we could make a permanent post with a list of programs and what needs to be done to use them with Vista that people could add to. IF it could be a chart rather than a list of posts, that would be great

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If recollections about XP are correct, that would be a nice idea but so out of time as to not be much help. By that I mean that Lounge Vista users will begin to come "on board" pretty slowly with the new OS but software/hardware vendors will be updating their products very rapidly. By the time a program got added to a list and (later) some Lounger reads it, the software will have already been updated.

Don't misunderstand, I'm all for the effort and you or any Lounger can start such a thread with a simple text file attachment. Others can easily grab the file, make changes and re-attach it to their post. It's worth a try...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

You didn't mention it by name, so in case you aren't aware of it I recommend the free download 'Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor' (from Microsoft), which will scan your system for sufficient resources for different versions, and for program incompatibilities.