Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Replication error -again (xp)

Someone suggested my problems last year were due to not compacting regularly enough. So, I was trying to remember to compact the database regularly so I would not have the same darn problem as last year and ,yet, here I am again. I set up in replica again because one morning I was distracted when I got to work ( in my defense I had been working at home until 3:30 and this was at 9 am) and did not restore from my home back up copy before she started working

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Replication error -again (xp)

What do you mean by: "and did not restore from my home back up copy before she started working"? Restoring *any* copy of a replicated database is a recipe for disaster. Once a replica is created on a specific computer, it must not be moved/copied to another computer without taking some very specific precautions that are not available to a casual user.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

sorry, did not explain very well-- I did NOT have it in replica form at that time-- was just taking a copy home-- doing work there and then taking that copy back to the office-- BECAUSE I managed to wipe out the work of the volunteer, I decided to change to replica-- I had decided NOT to use replication because I had the problem of not being able to sync the replicas after working on them at Christmas last year and the year before. And here I am in the same boat again.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

How many tables are affected?

Can you use queries to add data from your copy of the database to the church copy?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

So if I understand correctly, this is your situation:

- clerk works on database at office
    - at end of day, you take a copy of the database home to work on it there
    - you return to the office, and replace the existing database with your newly-edited database from home
    - the clerk does not edit the data at the office at the same time you edit it at home

Correct so far??

Then, you are unable to open the database because of a message about msysCompact (or similar name)

Correct??

If so, one of your computers is corrupting the database. Are either of the computers (home or office) networked? Unreliable network connections are a potential source of database corruption.
    Is your database split into frontend and backend components? If not, I highly recommend that you split them as per standard Access procedures. Then you would copy ONLY the backend (data) onto your home computer. Each user on the network should have their own copy of the frontend (ie, do not share one copy between multiple people).

Hope this helps.
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That is almost the situation. During the day, two people are working on the data input at the same time. The computers sit side by side and are networked by ethernet cable at this time although would like to be wireless. At the end of the day, I take home any work that is not completed by the end of the day (what ever time that turns out to be) -- tonight it wat at 9; but some times much later (the reason for my decision not to trust myself to update properly in the mornings [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] ) During 9 months of the year, I dont have problems, but during the busiest time of the year-- Oct-- Dec; it always falls apart. I wish I did not have to take work home, but there seems to be no way to get around that.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

You could keep the database on your laptop under a different database name to the one at work. There would be no issues of overriding either database.

Depending on your table setup, then all it's a matter of doing is running append queries from one database to the other, that way you will never override any data.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

LOL oh that I could afford a laptop! It is going back and forth on a jump drive. I have never gotten the hang of append queries although I have tried-- I always end up with duplicates all over the place. But this might be what I need to learn. During Christmas, there would be only three tables that would be affected. The rest of the year, it would be three tables for the most part; but a different set of tables. I will do some reading tonight and make another stab at that-- of course will have to take the whole database back to the original format-- is there any easier way to do that? I know how to write all the queries to save only the fields I want to keep and get rid of all the extras that replication puts in. There are 44 tables.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK

When do you experience the error message 1) immediately upon opening the database on your home computer, or 2) after editing the database on your home computer and trying to re-open it on the home computer, or 3) upon attempting to open it after copying it back to the office network. I am trying to determine *where* the corruption is occuring. I suspect that it's NOT your home computer, but is caused by a combination of a flakely network connection and increased workload on the database caused by the extra Christmas workload. You must determine where the corruption is occuring before it can be fixed.

During the slack time of the year, is the database *edited* ONLY by a single clerk? Where does the database reside -- I suspect it is mounted on one of the computers and the other one opens it over the network. If that's the case AND if the database is stable during the year when used "local" on a single computer AND if the corruption occurs when you add the second clerk, that would point suspicion to the second networked computer as the source of the corruption.

Bear in mind that *reading* the database over the network and *editing* the database over the network are completely different animals. Reading the database would NOT cause any corruption.

Also, you did not answer whether or not you have split the database. That's a vital step towards removing a possible source of corruption. I would recommend AGAINST trying to run the Access database over a wireless network. That advice applies whether or not you split the database.

What does this mean?: "the reason for my decision not to trust myself to update properly in the mornings " -- if you are editing the database on your home machine and you are not using replication, I don't see how you have any option EXCEPT to update the office database immediately upon returning to the office BEFORE your office staff makes any additional changes.
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I got the error message at the end of one day at the office when attempting to sync the replica on the office machine with the relica on the external hard drive and on the jump drive. Yes, a front end and back end database. Each time that this has happened in the last three years, it has been while at the computer at the office after at least most of a days work had been done and while attempting to sync with one of the external replicas. Yes, the master replica is on my desktop computer and the other computer accesses it over a LAN -- one on ethernet. There are only two people doing data entry at a given time although many volunteers work at the other computer. This year, I have used the master replica to hold the data although I know that it should sit off on its own and only have the data sync-ed with it... I followed that rule in all other years. So I dont think that caused the problem. My best guess is that access replicas do not like two users doing large amounts of record changes from different computers. Why recommend against wireless for access? Do you mean all access databases or just replicas? My comment about not trusting myself to back up in the mornings is that I am running on very little sleep for the whole month and anyone in that condition is prone to mistakes. With replication-- it would not matter when the synchronization took place-- I would still not over write the other worker. (if she started working before I remembered to up date). I hope I am expressing this more clearly now.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The append queries i am talking about is to append records from the source database to the target database where the records DONT appear in the target database. This alleviates the problem of duplicate records.

If there are only 3 tables that are affected by these records then maybe you should consider append queries.

When copying to the jump drive why don't you make sure the database name on the jump drive differs to the database on the network drive.

Any chance of sending a copy of these databases (unreplicated) so we may have a better look to see how we may help.

What do you mean when you say "of course will have to take the whole database back to the original format"?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ok, I am now the one confused. If I use an append query to put the tables on the "target "database-- you are suggesting there will not be a copy of that table already in the database? Seems I should be using a "make table" query which is what I need to do if I am changing back to a non replicated version of the database. For all current purpose it is not a replica any more since it can not sync with any other replica copy. But I always thought that keeping it with all those extra fields in every record was a bad idea. I wish I had time to make a copy for you without real data, but I cant do that until after the first of the year and then the problem is over for this year.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

>>ok, I am now the one confused. If I use an append query to put the tables on the "target "database-- you are suggesting there will not be a copy of that table already in the database? Seems I should be using a "make table" query which is what I need to do if I am changing back to a non replicated version of the database. >>>

No im not suggesting that at all, an append query is just that, it adds records to an existing table. The append query adds records from the source table to the target table only where they DONT appear in the target table.

<<But I always thought that keeping it with all those extra fields in every record was a bad idea.>>>
    What do you mean here?

It's up to you if and when you make a copy of the database for us to peruse, or you could email me the unreplicated version. I live in Australia, so i will have no interest in you real data, but that's up to you.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Something is really getting lost in translation here... You said in your original reply to me:

sorry, did not explain very well-- I did NOT have it in replica form at that time-- was just taking a copy home-- doing work there and then taking that copy back to the office-- BECAUSE I managed to wipe out the work of the volunteer, I decided to change to replica-- I had decided NOT to use replication because I had the problem of not being able to sync the replicas after working on them at Christmas last year and the year before. And here I am in the same boat again.

I took that to mean that you do not currently use replication, so I described a scenario in which you could move a single copy of the non-replicated database between two work sites. You subsequently told me that I had described the situation "almost" correctly. But in your most recent reply, you say that you are sync'ing replicas. I do not understand... You are either using replicas, or you're not, but you've told me two different versions.

IF you are using replicas and sync'ing, then you CANNOT, MUST NOT sync to a copy on your jump drive. That process is virtually guaranteed to corrupt your database. If you want to sync to a replica that you can subsequently use at home on a different computer, then it MUST be a replica whose permanent home is on a notebook computer that you can transport to and from your office. You would sync twice with the notebook -- once at the office and once at home. Anything else involving copying files to jump drives, CD drives, floppy drives, external hard drives, or any other portable media will eventually fail.

What role does the external hard drive play in your scenario? If you are connecting the hard drive to different computers and subsequently opening your replica with Access, that will also lead to corruption.

If you want to use replication so that you can edit the database at home, then you MUST either 1) establish an Internet connection between home and office so you can synchronize "over the wire" or 2) mount a replica on a notebook computer that you can synchronize independently with the office or home.

Why not wireless? because it is more prone to failure than a wired connection. A dropped connection that occurs at the wrong time can corrupt your database.

Access is designed for multiple people to edit the database from multiple computers simultaneously. That's not the source of the problem.
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK-- I think you have answered the problem-- I dont have a laptop and the only way I have to get the work done at home is to use the jump drive. So replication is out. I am sorry that it seemed I was saying two different things-- Durning the last two months I have had the database both in a "regular" database style and in replication. Because I had so much trouble with replication the last two years; I was NOT going to go back to it until a week or so ago when work was overwritten-- I then changed to the replication form of access. It only worked for 4 days before it stopped working. Either I figure out the way to use append queries or a get a laptop. Or I stay at the office and not bring work home. I appreciate your help with this problem--I sure was hoping there would be another answer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast