Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Broadband via ADSL

Having just re-installed (Pipex) Homecall ADSL broadband on someone's PC, following a move of house six weeks ago, I found two things that I couldn't sort out in the time available to me, and wonder if anyone can help.

1) I would like the PC to connect to Pipex Homecall automatically on power-on or on logging on to one of the userids.
    Currently it is necessary to click on the Homecall broadband desktop icon, then on Connect, then (when connected) on Close. Sticking the shortcut into All Users "Startup" didn't do anything useful.

2) when the connection is made, Internet Explorer is launched pointing to the Pipex Homecall website.
    Can I prevent this entirely unwanted launch of Internet Explorer (since the user doesn't want the Pipex Homecall home page). Launching IE in the usual way gets the user-set (and different!) home page.

I realise that there are unlikely to be too many Loungers who use this (not entirely efficient) UK ISP*, but the general principles might apply.
    Is it standard practice for ADSL not to start up immediately on the powering on of a PC or logging on of the first user?
    Perhaps I have been cosseted by having cable broadband 'always on', and never having to start it up!

John

* this user now has three ADSL modems and six ADSL microfilters plus two install CDs and two RJ11-RJ11 modem cables, to add to the modem equipment she brought from her previous house! Several instances of left-hand and right-hand, I fear...
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Broadband via ADSL

My experience of UK ADSL connections is that there are two types.

1. <LI>USB modems, that look like a dial up connection to Windows.
      <LI>Ethernet modems, where the modem manages all of the connectivity.
    When I had a USB connected ADSL connection for a while, I set the Internet Explorer option
    <code>Tools > Internet Options > Connections > Always dial my default connection</code>
    which generally worked, but I eventually went out and bought an Ethernet modem / router to replace the one provided by the ISP. This was outside the contractual agreement I had with them, and sometimes they would ask me to put the original one back when they were trying to diagnose a problem, but it was much more reliable and easier to use.

StuartR

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

John,
    I can only speak from my limited experience. I am using ADSL at home. My ISP does not require me to log on. However, until some months before I switched to ADSL some year ago, they did require some sort of log on. Since most users didn't like that, they removed it.

Initially I got some install CD and some manuals, but I have not touched the CD (well, browsed to see whatever they might ship). Since, in my case, there is very little tweaks needed, I didn't want to install unnecessary programs etc. to mess with the PC.

A quick check in the "manual", check the settings for TCP/IP in Networks connections (default was OK), and I was ready to go.

During my period on <56k modems, one ISP had some install CD with branded IE, that I also didn't touch. In that case (since it was some years ago and not everyone had a CD player) I followed the manual did some changes, adding telephone number etc. and could start use it.

Have you/they tried to connect just by using Windows standard programs, i.e. what happens if you set the correct values in Network connections for a connection, and then turn on the modem and after some time tries to use IE et al?

So, for ADSL in my experience and what I have seen at friends/relatives there is no need to log on.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart

You may well have hit the nail on the head with your suggestion, because the USB connection used appears in the dial-up section of Network Connections! That's a good option to try next time I'm round.

I suspect that many ISPs take the easy (but less efficient) option for connections, because it is much easier from their point of view to just say "put the USB plug from the ADSL modem into a USB socket" than to faff around with IP addresses and ethernet cables...

Thanks

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...