Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Paragraph border EACH paragraph (Word 2000 et al)

I can't find this in the forum, nor any place through the dialogue box.

I want to have a horizontal line above and below each paragraph in a set of paragraphs.
    Selecting a few paragraphs and choosing Format, Borders; with a line above and below results in a line above the first paragraph and a line below the last paragraph, but no lines between the paragraphs (that is, after each paragraph mark).

Choosing "Text" from the drop-down list generates a line after each line of text rather than a line after each paragraph.
    The sample below shows a lovely black line immediately preceding the "Public Function BatchCodeSearch" and following the "End Function".
    The hand-drawn red lines show where I'd like black lines as a result of the Format, Borders command. I suspect that this can't be done without resorting to skulduggery such as the traditional miniscule paragraph mark trick.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (77.0 KB, 0 views)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Paragraph border EACH paragraph (Word 2000 et al)

Use paragraph borders, and also select the "between" border. See screenshot.
    • File Type: png x.PNG (7.2 KB, 1 views)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Paragraph border EACH paragraph (Word 2000 et

> Use paragraph borders, and also select the "between" border.
    Thanks Hans.
    I must be growing senile faster than I thought.
    I know about the "between" border but hadn't/couldn't see it when I went to use it.
    I think now that perhaps I had had only one paragraph selected, the paragraph being several procedures, each end-of-line having a soft-return.
    That is, there was only one paragraph at the time I came to use it, and perhaps that's why I couldn't get the betweens.
    I miss Fortan II.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I *wasn't* going crazy.
    If the selection point is collapsed into a single paragraph, that "between" border button does not show. That's what stumped me. I was sure I'd seen it, somewhere.
    Selecting a portion of text that straddles a paragraph boundary brings the "between" button into view.
    Odd.
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (11.9 KB, 0 views)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That sounds reasonable. If you select (part of) only one paragraph, "in-between" lines aren't possible, so Word doesn't show them in the dialog.

The general rule is that you should select the part of the document whose formatting you want to modify before selecting an option in the Format menu.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I am guilty of leaving out a vital bit of information in my first post, which has finally surfaced. I was modifying a style, not applying local formatting.
    Everything that you say/said in your response(s) is correct, and even that made me stop again and wonder what had thrown me for a loop.
    I was not applying local formatting (Format, Borders, ...) but was modifying a style (Format, Style, Modify, Format, Borders, ...

> (part of) only one paragraph, "in-between" lines aren't possible,
    Quite so, and that is excellent logic, and that is how it works.

Now try modifying a style. If the selection point does not straddle a paragraph mark, the local formatting logic you quoted kicks in. This logic is valid for local formatting, but not for styles.
    I happen to be in a single paragraph while I am modifying my style, but the style can later be applied to several paragraphs.

I'm posting this not in a Hans-didn't-make-it-work sense, but in the hope that it might clear up confusion for a later lounger. My omission of the "Styles" slant has probably just added to the confusion.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I agree that it's confusing to have to select more than one paragraph to be able to set or remove inside borders for a style. The programmers took a shortcut here.