5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Salvaging Office customizations (2003)

This weekend I must change my hard drive and I am concerned about losing all the customization I have done to Word and Excel. Does anyone have any advice or checklist on what to save and so on? I thin I should save the Outlook PST file but does that automatically save all the email accounts with the various SMTP servers and passwords? Or

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Salvaging Office customizations (2003)

For Word, Excel, Outlook, etc. :

Start > All Programs > Microsoft Office > Microsoft Office Tools > Microsoft Office 2003 Save My Settings Wizard

This wizard creates a single file, which includes your Outlook account settings also.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Does this single file also contain my email and contacts or must I save that separately? How about normal.dot?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I think you'll have to backup your .pst file (containing e-mails, contact, appointments etc.) and your custom templates (including Normal.dot) manually. Same for .acl files containing AutoCorrect entries.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Don

I had to make the big leap from fixed PC to mobile working about this time last year and I had a load of "stuff" that was baggage for a very long time. I created a folder call MyStuff and placed in on the Desktop with the following folders:

Office
    Word
    Excel
    Access
    Other
    Images
    Work
    Personal
    Email
    Work PST
    Archived PSTs
    Work Files
    Projects
    Woody's stuff
    ...etc

I found that just putting this structure in place allowed me to go through each folder and pull out what I needed and didn't need, it is amazing when you can find iterations of files that are long gone and just cluttering up space. I was lucky as a lot of stuff I need is on shared drives and sharepoint areas now but I found it a really therapeutic exercise as it is amazing what can be discarded.

I then zipped the whole lot up and placed it on a removable hard drive and transferred them. I then kept my old PC under my desk for a period of 3 months in case there was anything I had forgotten cropped up in my day to day work. My view was , if it didn't it was no longer required.

Keep with the other guys ideas for templates and wizards but my little method took time but was well worth it in the long run.
    Jerry