3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

crashes (2000 with SP 3)

when Word opens a particular file (5 Mbytes in size) it continually crashes - I wrote the file out to rtf and then brought it back into word but crashes continue.
    I need the file for my work! Can anyone help?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: crashes (2000 with SP 3)

You may be able to salvage some of the contents by selecting 'Recover text from any file' in the 'Files of type' dropdown in the File | Open dialog. You'll have to copy the (unformatted) text you need into a new document.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks - that would have to be a last resort. Reducing the file to just not-well formatted text would destroy its usefulness to me. Are there any other ways to deal with this?

The file is about 5 Mbytes in size -- I want to cut it into about 10 pieces and save each as a separate file. I can't figure out what sort of codes in the file would make it crash and still survive the .rtf excursion the file went on... but the crashes still happen. It has many URL links in it -- I don't need those - is there a way to write it to an earlier Word version and bring it back in that would remove the crashing yet preserve the formats I need?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you can still open the document, you could try saving it as a HTML file, then save the HTML file as a Word document again.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thx - that still left in the crash causing items. I've had to move to Word Perfect to deal with it - I'll translate it back into Word later.