2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

$NtUninstallKB. . . (XP SP2)

Hi Everybody,

I'm just cleaning up after a crash (er, critical failure kernal something something) and came across a load of folders in Windows prefixed by $NtUninstallKB, then the KB number, then ending with another $. Are these left behind when updates are installed? The Symantec AutoFix tool didn't remove them. Can I delete them?

Thanks,
    Kris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: $NtUninstallKB. . . (XP SP2)

Here's a couple of threads for your consideration. I'll let you be the judge: <post:=531,636>post 531,636</post:> and <post:=592,972>post 592,972</post:>.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Big Al. Finally took time to read all of the information in the threads and articles. Since I have 93% of a 160gig drive left, I think I'll leave these files alone. Just wish I knew what caused the critical failure. It was dead in the water so I couldn't print the gibberish on the blue screen. I remember "critical failure", something about Kernal, to reboot, and if it continues to happen, get service. The CPU wouldn't even turn off. Had to cut power on the UPS, then turn it back on. I cleaned up and out everything I could think of. Even did a complete defrag. So far, no reoccurrance. Totally scary.
    Kris

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

If it happens again at least write down the lines that begin with "Stop:". They should contain the error code and offending module. That would be a good starting point.,

Joe
    Joe