5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook locks up (Office 2003)

For the last month Outlook has been locking up about once a day. The only way I can recover is to end the Outlook task with Task Manager. I have been sending "Program not responding" messages to Microsoft. I have been running scanpst.exe about once a day. 75% of the time errors are found and corrected. I am using Outlook on a stand alone PC. I am not connect to an Exchange server. I can not detect any pattern as to when or what is causing this lockup to occur.

Thanks

Re: Outlook locks up (Office 2003)

Do you use any add-ins? Examples: antivirus, anti-spam, contact management.

Do you sync Outlook with any other devices? Example: Palm, Treo, other PDAs/Smartphones.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, attached is a list of my add-in and comm add-ins. Mail buddy is a ZoneAlarm Security Suite junk mail filter. I use only the ZA antivirus, and anti-spam programs. I note that ACT is checked in Add-in Manager, but I have not used ACT in sometime.

Thanks

Try turning off all the add-ins you don't think you need. The Redemption library probably is used/installed by one of the other add-ins. Unfortunately, it's not clear which is linked to which from the screen shots. You probably will get an error if one of the ones you want to run requires the Redemption library, so perhaps it is best to leave all of those checked.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Echoing Jeffersons' advice to disable the add-ins you don't use, I had problems with the Google Outlook TB and removed it.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Interesting, was Outlook locking up before your removed it? I have found that the Google Outlook Desktop Search tool bar works well and very fast in searching for email, but I can see that the indexing might be a problem. If I just uncheck Google Desktop Search Outlook Addin, will that remove it? If the problem is not resolved, can I install it again by just rechecking the box?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

The Google DT Search slowed performance (Outlook took forever to load) but didn't lock me up. it was Google Desktop Outlook Toolbar, part of Google Desktop, that I had more trouble with, in and out of Outlook. And yes, you can deactivate it by unchecking the box, and reinstate it by checking the box. To permanently remove it, go through Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS