2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot Open 'Deleted' folder (outlook 2003 )

I am trying to help a friend with a 3.2 GB pst file (I know ). She somehow seems to believe she delete her inbox into her deleted files which show 3426 unread messages. When I try to access this folder I Get the message that that there is a error in the .......outlook.pst file and I need to run scanpst.exe. When run it goes for about 45 minutes and then freezes. That is a long time to wait for something that doesn't work.. SEVERAL TIMES.
    Everything else seems to work fine.
    I know the files is bloated and is not designed as document storage. That will be addressed later. I am just trying to clean out the deleted files and gain access.
    Any Ideas?
    Gaddy

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cannot Open 'Deleted' folder (outlook 2003 )

Can we assume that this a standalone machine where the default folders such as Inbox, etc, are in the PST? Does the user still have an Inbox? And you can't tell if it is a subfolder of the Deleted Items Folder because Outlook won't let you into it? Or is the Inbox gone entirely?

Before you try any further steps you must make a couple of backup copies of the PST in case the recovery attempts mess it up. Also, 3.2 Gb shouldn't be a problem with Outlook 2003, but the file size will slow down scanpst and other recovery efforts.

Other Loungers may have better ideas, but here are some things to try.

Run an Advanced Find (Ctrl-Shift-F) of the Deleted Items Folder, leave "Search for the words" blank, in order to find anything. Initially run Advanced Find with the More Choices tab "Only items that are" checkbox "UNread" selected and checked, to see if you are finding the lost inbox messages. If the user has cleaned out intentionally deleted items, and the Deleted Items folder doesn't have a huge number of items, try again without that checkbox. Perhaps you can recover everything this way.

If not, in this situation, after creating the backups, I would create two new PSTs and start moving messages from the existing one to the two new ones, on some logical basis such as folder contents or message age. If the user has reasonably structured subfolders, you can drag those over. After the new PSTs each get to about 1 Gb, compress the original source PST then run it through Scanpst.exe. Then see if you can recover the lost inbox messages.

Another thing to try is to restore the default Inbox Folder. Close Outlook and all Outlook windows and processes, then from the Start | Run box run this command:

Outlook.exe /resetfolders

This should restore the Inbox (see Outlook Command Line Switch reference).
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

If the PST is from an older version of Outlook that has been upgraded to 2003 then it will still be the 97-2002 format that has the 2GB limit. The larger limit is only for the new 2003 Personal Folders format.

Joe
    Joe

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

True - if that's the case I'm astonished that this PST got to 3.2 Gb.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Administrator
    Thanks

Me too. But with software one never really knows when disaster will or won't strike.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just got in to see the dialogue. It is Outlook 2003. and to the best of her recollection she thinks she "deleted' her inbox. All messages (over 500) disappeared. Any attempt to access the deleted items folder brings the error message. I have tested by creating a deleting a new folder. It appears and can be deleted on exit but cannot be opened with out error.
    Other than the Deleted folder the rest of the files all work fine. I have set 'delete all on exit' and any current deletions are disappearing but 3757 unread messages show as remaining without any changes.
    I have made copies of the file and in a worst case will create a new PST and transfer all the folders over. (There are many, many) and create a logical structure. As well as teaching regular archiving.
    I will first try the Reset process probably over the weekend and let you know. Nothing can happen until Friday afternoon when I pick up the laptop.
    Thanks john,
    Have a good Thanksgiving, Be back later
    Gaddy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was unable to repair or access the 'deleted' folder from the older PST file. I did finally create a new file and transferred all the folders and contact into it. without and major dletions it did shrink to 2 GB. Interestingly as I was MOVING folders from one file to the other the original never did shrink even when compacted. hmmm.
    Alas all is now working with a regular backup in place. Thanks for the tools which i may have to use elsewhere,
    This thread can be closed now.
    Gaddy

Administrator
    Thanks

If the new PST is in the Office 2003 Personal Folders Format (you select which format when creating a new PST) then a file larger than 2gb should not be a problem.

Joe
    Joe