Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Norton Internet Security

Although there have been several posts in the past with unfavorable comments about Norton Anti-virus and associated programs it is interesting to note that the 5 Dec '06 issue of PC Magazine has Norton Internet Securilty suite of programs rated as Number One (TOPS).
    Regards,
    Slim

Thanks

Re: Norton Internet Security

For reference, here are some links to recent PC Magazine reviews online:

Security Suite Smackdown, Part I (Oct. 17, 2006)

Buying Guide: Security Suites (Nov. 16, 2006).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, they got good reviews for suites, but not necessarily for having the best antivirus or best available firewall. Norton has always been a top-rated suite and a recommended by for those unwilling to purchase the best individual components from different vendors.

The good news with the PC Mag review is that Symantec has begin to address the primary complaint of users -- system slowdown. But what is not heartening is that the review did not state that NAV is the best AV available or that Norton Personal Firewall is the best firewall available. In fact, the review dismissed several components as being not very good.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

NAV 2007 and NIS 2007 have gotten favorable mention in several web forums.
    Symantec seems to be making an effort.

Now if they would only provide/improve their support, starting with re-instating their support forum.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I've seen some folkes state that KIS is the best suite.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

KIS is not all that well-regarded as a suite. It is particularly well regarded for its AV program, but its other suite parts are considered less capable. The recent news is that Zone Alarm, which is considered to have the best firewall, is dropping CA antivirus, which has consistently been considered a poor AV product, and replacing it with KAV in the new (forthcoming) ZA suite. If the integration works well, this could be the suite to beat.

The problem with suites remains that each suite has a single top performer surrounded by less than stellar performers. Conmsequently, suites are compromises for those unwilling to deal with multiple products.

Thanks

> suites are compromises for those unwilling to deal with multiple products

If we consider Microsoft Office to be the model for software suites (not the originator, but the most evolved), the term suite also suggests that when they are at their best, suites smooth the coordination of functions between components, potentially reducing headaches (like multiple security products both popping up alerts at the same time for the same or related behaviors).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I agree. MS Office is certainly a well-integrated suite. Whether its individual components are the best in their class (e.g., which is better: MS Word or WordPerfect) or not, MS Office is certainly the standard. Sadly, the "perfection" reached by MS Office as a suite has not been reached by the security suites. There is at least a good argument to be made that the components of MS Office are each the best in their class, but no reviewer that I am awarae of has made that claim for the components of any security suite. And from my perspective, it is significantly more important today to use the best security software than to use the best word processor.

You also have the purpose of an "integrated" suite correct and MS Office meets that purpose. But none of the security suites really meet that purpose -- or at least do not meet it at the level they should considering what they are supposed to do. This year, for the first time, I have abandoned using a security suite and have gone for the individual components. A security suite, to my way of thinking, needs to provide only 2 things: AV and firewall, possibly a third: antispam/spyware. Password managers, parental controls, disk defragmenters, and the like are security suite bloat and I believe are used to cover up inadequacies in the primary components. None of the suites provide the best AV and the best firewall, so I've gone the separate route. BUT Zone Alarm's announcement of combining KAV with ZA Pro's firewall in a suite (hopefully they will allow you to NOT install the other components) is a very positive sign -- each is the leader in its respective category. The real question will be how well they are integrated -- or will it simply be that you are buying 2 standalone products that share a common installer and banner? I'm looking forward to the reviews.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Microsoft's OneCare is doing a good job, it does NOT claim to be the ONE in ALL that does all, but so far it it is working like it should. Mind you, I am using it only on my Vista installs at this time, but the reports from XP users seem to be positive.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Now that would be great. I have ZA Security Suite on three computers, and ZA pro + Norton System works on the other two. Would be great to have them all under one roof.
    PS My experience with One Care was so bad, I called and got my money back from Microsoft
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I got NIS 2007 this week.
    Of course, I cannot use it as I only have Windows2000.
    Really disappoihting was theflimsy user's guide.
    Could not find more complete info on the CD-ROM.

Guess, I'll have to ckeck Symantec web site to see whether there is downloadable help file of useful user manual.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I run NIS 2006 on both my computers. I'm thinking (and I emphasize thinking!) about upgrading one of my machines to Windows Vista. The little I've read on the subject says NIS 2006 probably will not work with Vista. Well, my contact with Symantec goes through some time in 2008. What would you do, given that set of circumstances? Would you forget about moving to Vista for the time being? Or go for Vista and suck up the expense of buying yet another AV/firewall suite?

Thanks

Lucas,
    Do you have any compelling reason to change to Vista or just change for the sake of change?

I for one, am not rushing to go to the Vista route because I see no big advantage to it. Others may see something there.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I'm a bit at odds with myself on this point. Part of me says "stay the course"

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I believe that there's a statement at the Symantec web site aboult which products will be get Vista updates.
    My recollection is that 2007 will, and perhaps 20006.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast