5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

FE & BE not allowing multiple users (2k)

Hi,
    I have a Access database that is split into FE & BE. Users access the FE by a shortcut placed on their desktop.
    For some reason multiple users cannot access the database.
    I've gone to Tool>Options>Advanced and made sure the Default Open Mode is shared and the default record locking is no locks. Would there be any other reason that the database isn't letting more than one person on at a time.
    Open databases using record level locking is ticked.

Currently it is on a shared public drive. The additional users are not even able to begin to enter the database as when they click on the shortcut the egg timer is displayed for a split second and then nothing.

I have tried:

Re-adding the shortcut, linking FE & BE again, Repairing & compressing the database.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: FE & BE not allowing multiple users (2k)

Make sure that all users have modify permissions (read/write/create/delete) on the folder containing the frontend and also on the folder containing the backend. Access cannot work correctly if users don't have modify permissions on those folders.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just to clarify, I need to go to:

Tools>Security>User and Group Permissions

and set the access from there.

Can this be any different then if the database is set in a central drive and I haven't set individual user rights on the database?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I meant permissions at the folder level (in Windows Explorer), not the permissions you set in Access itself.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

But then why would both users be able to access the database but just not at the same time. Or am I missing something?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Access uses a .ldb file to keep track of who has a database open. The .ldb file has the same name as the database (except for the extension) and it is stored in the same folder as the database. If users have only read access to the folder that contains the database, Access cannot create or modify the .ldb file. It will let one user open the database, but since it cannot keep track of users, it'll lock out all other users as long as the first user has the database open.

If users do have full permissions on the folder, it is possible that the .ldb file remains behind if Access crashes. If you are sure that nobody has the database open, and there is still a .ldb file, try deleting it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Presumably this is the file that is displayed with the padlock on it whenever someone opens a database.

How do I check permissions on the ldb file?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You don't have to check permissions on the .ldb file. You must check permissions on the folder that contains the database.
    - Select the folder in Windows Explorer.
    - Select File | Properties.
    - Activate the Security tab.
    - Select the appropriate user or user group.
    - The user or group should have most permissions, only Full Control isn't necessary (see screenshot).
    Since your database is split, you must do this for both the folder containing the backend and for the folder containing the frontend (if this is a network folder).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I think this has resolved it. The problem with working on computers at work is the restrictions that out IT department has put on being able to manipulate the way things work. Subsequently this has been passed to them to resolve as I don't have the access rights.